TYRE NOISE ! I THINK !?

lomoto

I’m getting a lot of road noise in the car when travelling at around 25mph..Took it to one of the main dealers who said it was due to the Bridgestone’s and not to worry.

Also took it to an independent garage who said the same. However, I’ve been reading lomoto’s post and associated feedback comments in particular at the Nissan TSB (USA) and was wondering if this might be the cause. Has anyone actually challenged the dealers with this one and is there a UK TSB on the subject.

Dicky

Hi Dicky... I cured my tyre noise problem , put a set of Falken tyres on, sorted the grip problem to :thumbs:

Car now rides 100% better without the Bridgestones fitted...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest prescience
I’m getting a lot of road noise in the car when travelling at around 25mph..Took it to one of the main dealers who said it was due to the Bridgestone’s and not to worry.

Also took it to an independent garage who said the same. However, I’ve been reading lomoto’s post and associated feedback comments in particular at the Nissan TSB (USA) and was wondering if this might be the cause. Has anyone actually challenged the dealers with this one and is there a UK TSB on the subject.

Dicky

No UK TSB but take the US TSB along to NMGB and insist - any dealer will be able to fidn the necessary info and if they deny it, don't take no for an answer.

You and dealers must've established that the tyres have the KZ code rather than the newer XZ one (by inspecting the numbering on the tyres)? KZ = prone to feathering so was replaced by XZ.

Point that out to them as well to prove you know what you're on about

Guest prescience

Actually I'm not - going for an alcohol free month in May :)

Next Friday is the 37th of April right?

Cheers one and all for your input, its been a great help. At the time neither the dealer nor I checked the tyre code number, he simply took a 5 min ride and said it’s due to the Bridgestone’s.

I’ve now checked it and it’s E040KZ, so the plot deepens. I’ve since ditched this dealer due to poor service and gone to another and will raise this matter with them next week.

Dicky

it's a known fact. it was first discovered @ JAE 2004 when my tyres were checked having different code (and pattern) compared to earlier cars. This was due to tyre feathering issues on the previous tyres

quite confident they have a TSB out here in UK too for tyre feathering, as they are regularly replaced with new code tyres mate. surely people who have had it done will chime in soon enough

I’m based up in god’s country Dorian, Geordie land, Newcastle upon Tyne, and been dealing with Benfield Motors. The warranty guy there is the third in a very short space of time and was originally their workshop foreman. When he listened to the noise he either wasn’t aware, or playing dumb. However I’ve now moved on to Vic Young, based in South Shields who offered a very favourable P2 service price, £166 as compared to £235 at Benfield. I’ve had other issues with Benfield that have really bugged me and I’ve now lost faith in them, So Vic Young it is then!

Cheers Dicky

Guest prescience

I bought my car through Benfield Motors, Carlisle - never been back for service though; went to Middlehursts, St Helens. They know about feathering issue for sure - but a LONG trek for you

• 3 weeks later...

Carrying on from my last psot. Took the car to the

dealers on Monday to have the problem looked at again (got fobbed of the first time). Also took a copy of the States TSB supplied by The Minel and other info supplied by Dorian et al (thanks once again guys)

I took one of their technicians out to demo it and he did say they have a “Noteâ€

• 3 weeks later...

Just got word from local dealer that Nissan are going to replace my front tyres and set up the tracking (I think he said). This should cure the road noise I’ve been experiencing for a while at speeds below 30mph. Still not happy with just changing the front. Does anyone know how you stand on this subject? The Minel advised a while ago they would only replace the front, but this seems unfair to me. By agreeing to change the front are they admitting the tyres are incorrect for the car or that the steering set up is incorrect? Are there any concerns regarding tread pattern, difference in tread depth and possibly tyre composition. Any advice welcome!

Cheers Dicky :wacko:

Cus I’m an awkward Bas---d that’s why! Seriously though, when I buy a new car I expect the tyres to be fit for purpose, be made by the same manufacturer, have the same tread pattern, and tread depth etc ie all matching (accepting that these cars have different sizes fitted front and rear).

If in the fullness of time I find the tyres aren’t fit for purpose, then that’s not my fault. I still want the above criteria to be met. I think it reasonable to expect Nissan, having acknowledged their mistake, to fit new tyres all round. Otherwise I could end up with one or more of the above criteria not being met. At the very least I’m now going to be disadvantaged by having nice shiny new tyres on the front and weathered old ones on the back, not to mention the different tread depths and having to replace them at different times..

Cheers Dicky

Your right of course. I’m only being awkward cos of the hassle Nissan customer services and the local dealer have given me over a couple of other claims I’ve made. Thanks for all the advice and support offered over this claim. It’s helped

Cheers Dicky

Got the replacement tyres fitted today, Bridgestone Potenza RE040's. They also realigned the steering. Would like to have signed off now as a happy customer--- BUT--They’ve rebalanced the wheels and left the old rusty balancing weight holders on, having repositioned the new weights! They also managed to whack my wing mirror taking a nasty big gouge out of it. Just as well I insisted they check the car over for damage before taking it away. I do this every time it goes in now; you just can’t trust any of them. Other issues I’ve had with main dealers include an offer to respray my front bumper when small paint cracks appeared. On the day I arrived to hand over the car they informed me that Nissan would only spray half the bumper!!! I had to pay for the other half. They also insisted that a small gap I'd opened up in the joint between the bumper and the wing bu hitting my step ladders while pulling out the garage, required a complete new bumper to sort it. I did it myself in 3/4 of an hour, perfect! Another spilt brake fluid on the bonnet during its P2 service, they also gave the car back with virtually no brakes as they hadn’t bled them correctly (luckily I was going slowly when I realised I could hardly stop coming into a roundabout). They also forgot to refit the BIG reservoir cover. On taking it back to have the brakes sorted they again spilt fluid on the car, this time it luckily fell on the headlamp. They resprayed the bonnet but I've now got to take it back to get the lacquer runs sorted out. How can these people justify charges of between £50 to£60 an hour? They plaster their walls with Technician certificates and diplomas, give you coffee in a cup, newspapers to read and employ smart youg girls to take your money, but cant get the job right first time. Dicky ( Latest member of the Grumpy old men club) :thumbdown::rant::rant: