Sudden loss of power and slight knocking noise

menz83

Hey folks, have run into a few issues with my 53' zed with 69k on the clock recently. Before I start, i'll make you aware that ive recently had a new cobra resonated exhaust and y-pipe fitted and a basic service with all servicing goods purchased from CS.

First of all, I have noticed a change in exhaust tone over the last few weeks. I know with a new exhaust, the build up in carbon will change the note slightly. The other day when I was in a shopping centre car park though, I noticed quite a dramatic change. The car sounded a bit less aggressive and almost a bit choked up. I still had my fun in the car park though, enjoying the echo when i put my foot down! It wasn't until on my way home, I came off a roundabout in second and gunned it up the dual carridgeway. The ground was sligtly damp so I expected the wheels to spin a bit and the TC to kick in. Just as I was near the red line, i felt what I thought was the TC, so I changed up to 3rd only to realise that I had lost all power. Whenever I put my foot on the throttle, there was no response and the car made a sort of bogged down kinda noise. I rolled to halt, put the clutch in only to fine the engine had cut out. I turned the key almost immediately and the car started and drove fine all the way home. I took it easy at first but later tried to recreate the problem by gunning it but all was well. No warning lights or anything on the dash to note.

Tonight on my way to work, I noticed that the exhanust note sounded different like I first noticed in the car park. Its definely not as loud as my exhaust should be and I can only describe it as a chocked up kind of sound! I tried gunning it a few times in first and second to see if the engine would cut out but all was well. I dont seem to have lost any power or anything else noticable, the car just seems to run fine. When I stopped at work and was sitting at idle, I did notice a slight knocking noise. I got out the car and had a listen and its definely coming from underneath, probably near the front/middle of the car. The noise certainly has a rythm to it and doesnt increase with the revs. The best I can describe it is it almost sounds like a diesel!

I intend on taking the car to the garage on Thursday for a quick once over but was hoping it may sound fimiliar to you guys so I have a bit of knowledge when I go!

Thanks

Thanks for your response folks.

Yeah I do have the standard cats fitted and it did cross my mind if there would be some sort of blockage in the exhaust somewhere. My car just passed its MOT a few weeks back and obviously that included the emissions test. If the cats were failing, do you not think it would show up in the test? If it is the cats that are the problem, am I still alright to drive? Need to get back to work tonight before the garage opens on Thursday!

As per my first post, no warning lights at all on the dash. Just away to drive home from work now, gonna check to see if the knocking noise is obvious on a cold start.

Just a thought, ive read others suffering from sudden power loss when fitting the post 06' led tail lights. The cause of this as I understand is due to the ECU picking up voltage issues. Whilst i do have the standard tail lights, my number plate lights were changed prior to my MOT as they will flickering. The garage said that they were led lights, but he changed them to standard bulbs. I know its unlikely, but do you think this could be a possible cause?

I would get it back to Mitz to have a look.

I only purchased the goods from him, we're a few hundred miles apart unfortunately!

Car sounded fine this morning but didnt get a chance to have a good listen due to a pretty heavy rain shower. I must admit that when I switched the engine off when I arrived home, it almost sounded like my exhaust had a slight blow. I'll need to look into this further.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

I would get it back to Mitz to have a look.

I only purchased the goods from him, we're a few hundred miles apart unfortunately!

Car sounded fine this morning but didnt get a chance to have a good listen due to a pretty heavy rain shower. I must admit that when I switched the engine off when I arrived home, it almost sounded like my exhaust had a slight blow. I'll need to look into this further.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

My mistake reading your first post, but in which case go back to who fitted the Zorst as your post seemed to be wondering if the recent fitment might be a cause....... and given what you have just said.

Turns out the noise was leaking cats so just contacted CS for a pair of cobra decats!

My mechanic was stumped on the engine cutting out and has just said to keep an eye on things as the motor is running and sounding fine!