Help! Malfunction light on!

Stew

My Malfunction light came on on the way to work today. I had a look over the fluids etc and nothing seemed to be wrong. No funny noises or strange readings n the guages.

Any ideas on this folks?

The light is on steady which seems to be a good sign.....

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch to the ON position and count to 3 seconds.

2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.

2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).

2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

3. Wait 7 seconds with the accelerator released

4. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds or until the CEL starts blinking.

Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)

At this point I found the error code would repeat over and over. Some posts state that 10 slow flashes signify the end of the code but I never saw that.

5. There’ll be a pause between each of the numbers flashed out.

The only way I got this to work was to count from 0 to about 28 rather than from 0 to 3 then 0 to 5 then 0 to 7 then 0 to 10.

If you turn off the ignition when the light starts flashing following step 4 it should reset the error. Haven’t tried that myself.

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch to the ON position and count to 3 seconds.

2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.

2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).

2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

3. Wait 7 seconds with the accelerator released

4. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds or until the CEL starts blinking.

Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)

At this point I found the error code would repeat over and over. Some posts state that 10 slow flashes signify the end of the code but I never saw that.

5. There’ll be a pause between each of the numbers flashed out.

The only way I got this to work was to count from 0 to about 28 rather than from 0 to 3 then 0 to 5 then 0 to 7 then 0 to 10.

If you turn off the ignition when the light starts flashing following step 4 it should reset the error. Haven’t tried that myself.

Sounds freaky but it actually works. There's a list of error codes floating around somewhere, shouldn't be anything too bad. Mine turned out to be a faulty 02 sensor, others have mentioned that incorrectly seating the fuel cap produces the light as well :)

Ok I got the code the first time I tried it. Failed to make the light flash the further 3 times I tried it though!

It seemed to flash once, pause, flash once, pause, flash 4 times, pause, flash 7 times. Or the 7 and 4 were maybe the other way!

I'll have a scan on the net. If anyone can shed light on this then I'd be grateful!

Guest prescience
First job is to reset it.

My heated rear O2 sensor is still working but is out by 0.07 v which is not enough to bother replacing it. When it comes on again replace it.

Guy

As I suggested in the thread above ;) ;) :lol: