Rear parking sensors

mrchic

My parking sensors are knackered, constant annoying beeping as soon as you put in reverse.

Was told by a mechanic at a recent check that the harness had melted to the exhaust. i didn't go into much detail about fixing it as the car was in for other stuff.

Can i access any of the wiring from the boot area, or would it need jacking up. Id rather not jack it up,as i don't have ramps or stands.and its on gravel.

I've seen some kits on Ebay for about £20.

Do you think i could do this my self.

Thanks

James

Sounds like a bodge installation job. If cables are melted to the zorst that's where your problem lies I'm afraid you're going to have to jack it or reverse up onto a couple of planks or wood which might give you enough room to slide under. Good luck :)

The control unit is probably under the false floor in the boot, try and identify the manufacturer and see if you can get spare sensor cables

• Like 1

Sounds like a bodge installation job. If cables are melted to the zorst that's where your problem lies I'm afraid you're going to have to jack it or reverse up onto a couple of planks or wood which might give you enough room to slide under. Good luck :)

The control unit is probably under the false floor in the boot, try and identify the manufacturer and see if you can get spare sensor cables

Great job! :thumbs:

Most units have five plugs, one for the power and earth and four for the sensors, a process of elimination will identify your faulty one, turn ignition on put car in reverse to produce noise and remove sensor plugs one at a time until noise stops.

• 2 weeks later...

Great job! :thumbs:

Had a look this morning under the floor in the boot, discovered what can only be the control unit. Its a Nissan part with a connector plug on top.

Bit of a noob question but i wanted to remove the foam bracket which holds the jack and tools to trace the sensor cables. i have seen two plugs which hold it down, but do i need to remove any of the other trim as sliding it out is somewhat tricky.

Or do i need to be more forceful :boxing:

Thanks

It's unlikely to be a Nissan part for the sensors as they were dealer fit. The control unit is usually in that area though as it takes power from the reverse light. With the car in reverse feel each sensor with your fingers, when working correctly you should feel them clicking/pulsing.

I replace my whole kit with a £18 one from ebay when one of the sensors failed. It's a bumper off job but there's a decent guide online on how to do it.

Getting the foam out from the boot takes a bit of force due to its shape.

It's unlikely to be a Nissan part for the sensors as they were dealer fit. The control unit is usually in that area though as it takes power from the reverse light. With the car in reverse feel each sensor with your fingers, when working correctly you should feel them clicking/pulsing.

I replace my whole kit with a £18 one from ebay when one of the sensors failed. It's a bumper off job but there's a decent guide online on how to do it.

Getting the foam out from the boot takes a bit of force due to its shape.

Thanks

Ill going to take a closer look over the weekend, the Nissan part mentioned looked like a typical siren, so this

maybe the alarm?

Having looked at the actual sensors, they got a few marks around the holes, so not a great job.

Ill get some images up soon, and as mentioned before i need to either get underneath/ take bumper off the car.

Ps

Noticed your sig and the Audio setup, have you got a thread on here with the install/pics. I would like to upgrade at some point,

and ive got some SPL dynamics 6.5 components to use

Thanks