Vauxhall Carlton - mildly breathed on...

Johnny_A

Hello 350/370Z peeps!

I have joined your site in a search for a clutch that can handle over 400lb's of torque, take a lot of abuse and still being drivable. I am close to a solution using a 350Z pressure plate as it's a good size, I do however think it's rude to just join and start asking questions. So for anyone interested here is my Vauxhall Carlton.

Basic spec:

1993 Carlton Estate 2.0 8v base shell

Senator front end conversion (wings, bonnet, headlights)

Z20LET (2.0 16v turbo engine taken from a 2001 Astra coupe) tall engine producing 347bhp

Greddy TD06-20G turbo @1.1 bar with a modded SR20DET top mounted manifold, Tial 38mm external gate with screamer

Sierra Cosworth FMIC, custom pipework and exhaust system, Siemens 630cc injectors, various other minor mods

Omega 5-speed gearbox with a 228mm paddle clutch

Totally custom built dual perch coilovers front and rear based on the Opel Omega touring car with road and track springs

Monaro rear diff and shafts

156509_10151735356855214_1418137479_n.jpg

598921_10151800120685214_1868341286_n.jpg

522303_10152226627580214_1089105994_n.jpg

The current clutch is already over the recommended torque limits, it's a 6 paddle design and horrid to use as a daily driver. If I went to a 240mm organic friction plate it would handle the current engine output but as normal I want more power!

I am already in the process of adding a small Eaton M45 supercharger to the design to compound charge the engine, the lag is a real pain and I want rid! In addition I'd like to pump up the peak power to 400bhp with similar torque, any more than this and the gearbox will fail.

I've been looking at friction plates around 250mm to handle 400bhp in an organic form. With the help of google I was able to determine that 350Z's use 248mm OD friction plates which is close enough!! So in theory the pressure plate should just about shoehorn into the gearbox bellhousing. Any help with pressure plate dimensions would be a great.

John.

Edited by Johnny_A

Thanks guys, Zmanalex has replied and is very helpful.

I happened to be up at Horsham Developments near Newbury today, Mr Horsham was able to show me a 350Z flywheel and clutch, I didn't have a tape measure to hand but I can always go back - however by eye it looks perfect for me.

But I do have a question, there are two types of 350Z clutch but what are the differences??