Performance tuning magazine

mini

Don't know whether any of you read this magazine, I don't personally but thought I'd buy a copy for my flight up to Glasgow on Tuesday due to the front cover (plus I need to take my mind off small talk when sitting next to a fat business man for an hour).....

Anyway, they had an article/test in the new May edition at Cardwell Park (I think) between the following: 350Z GT-S, tuned Manaro 6.0, tuned 3.2 TT (you're bound to hae seen this in mag's, it's the ornage one), a 500bhp RX-7, and a bog standard Porsche Caymen (there may have been one other, but it was a long day and I don't have the magazine to hand)

The supercharged zed came up top car (it was the kuro Novidem one).

I will scan the article and post on this link it tomorrow morning.

This now leads me to a couple of questions, which you technically minded people may be able answer for me......

1. Can you fit a turbo-charger to a zed? If not, why not? If so has anyone done it?

2. Why (the first question may answer this) are they developing/developed a supercharger rather than a turbo ot twin turbo?

3. (this may sound like a stupid question but...) can you fit both a turbocharger & a supercharger to a car?

I'm not saying I'm gonna do any of the above but was just wanted to know in general :)

1. Can you fit a turbo-charger to a zed? If not, why not? If so has anyone done it?

2. Why (the first question may answer this) are they developing/developed a supercharger rather than a turbo ot twin turbo?

3. (this may sound like a stupid question but...) can you fit both a turbocharger & a supercharger to a car?

I'm not saying I'm gonna do any of the above but was just wanted to know in general :)

1 Yes, Check out Baptists TT zed

2 There are single & twin turbo kits also available

3 Yes VW have a 1.4 golf with both and gets 170bhp from it though from what i have read about it theres not much scope to improve performance beyond 200bhp

Cheers for the info Ian,

Does that mean a supercharger provides more or less, or the same additional power than a turbo?

AND if you were to invest in either whta would be the best option?

Look forward to seeing Baptists zed, if he can make the NW run.

Supercharger I believe goes upto about 390Bhp im not sure about Single Turbos but Baptists TT I think i at about 520BHP.

Personally I will be going the supercharger route because I dont really want to go forged internals, although I do miss having a turbo.

I think theres 1 or 2 on here that have a SC fitted so im sure they will be along to add anything ive missed :thumbs:

You can get up to +- 400 rwhp with a SC, without touching the internals.

A TT setup has alot more options to get an insane amount of power, but like said before you have to change the internals of the engine.

A TT setup can get you 700-1000 rwhp on the Z. This is very very expensive to reach though.

From other people experiences, I would say a SC is more reliable for the daily driver. However, a lot depends on the tuning of your car. A turbo or TT might prove reliable on a low boost as well.

Anyway, 400 rwhp is approximately the limit on stock internal engine parts. Above that, you should really change some to keep reliability.

If you really want loads of info on going FI, check my350z.com.