double tap boot

oderuyter

Are you saying the SGS ones are not strong enough to raise the lid?

Self-quote madness!

They are not! Having fitted the new ones, removed the weight, and done the pennies trick, its made no difference at all. Should I be complaining to SGS that their standard struts cannot lift the tailgate - sans weight - at anything less then nearly 3/4 of the way up already?

I know its cold weather but I expected a bit more than this.

In all my searching, I saw some posts that suggested the boot should lift itself all the way, from popping the button, but playing with it today, even with the weight removed, its so heavy in the downward half of its swing, the struts have no effect on its motion, nor can they from their angle. Is it supposed to be that way?

With 5 coins in the boot still wont pop clear to be lifted in one clean sweep.

New struts, penny trick and lead weight removal had all done nothing!

Has anyone actually bothered taking their 350z to the dealers to see what they say? Having replaced the struts and the spring lifts, there isn't really much more to it. Shouldn't need to remove any counterweights, or bodge it with pennies.

I'm going to swing by my local Nissan place at some point, see what they suggest.

Like any hatch or estate lid, the struts are designed to assist in the lifting of the door, and hold it open when fully extended. Some may open on their own due to different weight/angles, that's just luck of the draw.

If you want an automatic 'hands free' type hatch lift, you will need something like a Rolls or Mercedes. :wink:

It's the angle at which the struts Are mounted They have got no chance of popping the boot lid open from the position they are in. They would have to be massive. The penny trick is so the lid clears the catch, not to add extra power to the struts. The new sgs struts are so the lid stays open when at the top rather than crashing down on your head. Like mine used to.

i've been working on my thumb strength to just lift the boot clear of the catch on the first press - can get it most of the time. and its only on really cold days or if there is ice on the boot lid that the gas struts dont work, so not that worried about it at the moment... do need to sort out my electric window though - when i can afford a new exhaust i will want to be able to get both windows down to fully appreciate the noise!

Or a Jag, but even that's playing up now.

My point was, someone said it was a full auto lift type hatch, so I was asking if that was true, People have been talking about one - handed operation, one button push etc.

By 'one-handed' operation, they mean that the spring lifters (not the gas struts) are strong enough to clear the latch when the button is pressed, thereby enabling the same hand that pushed the button to then lift the lid. The benefit being that the other hand can retain control of your shopping etc. Otherwise two hands are required, one to push the button and the other to pull the lid clear of the catch to stop it engaging again. Shopping ends up on floor in rain.

There are essentially two 'faults' that refer to the boot lid. The failure over time of the spring lifters to pop the lid beyond the catch when the button is pressed, hence the 'double tap' required in the thread title, or two hands to complete the operation, and the failure over time of the gas struts which means the lid requires more assistance to lift fully open and ultimately may fall back down from the open position, usually on the occupants head.

Both faults require different solutions, hence the 'penny trick' for the lifters which by inserting any given disc, compresses the spring making it more powerful again (or replace for new items). And for the struts, they can either be re-gassed or replaced, hence the discussion on the merits of using other manufacturers for the benefit of either cost or quality (increased pressure). As the design is used universally across the motor industry you just need the right specification for any given vehicle i.e. length/diameter. Losing weight from the boot lid may assist as either component reduces in performance, but ultimately they will require repair/replacement.

Has anyone thought about looking into replacing the actual springs in the little black boot poppers (where you put the pennies?)

They are too expensive to replace for what they are, but i bet a spring exists that you could replace the existing one with for very little cost, reusing the same housing.

I've just googled 'custom springs' and the first link i clicked seems pretty promising. I added 1 random spring to my basket and it was only £3! We'd obviously have to send them one of our springs and have them recommend a replacement, but im sure a bulk order would be cheap as chips and plenty of people on here would want a pair...

Wasso.... where are ya? :1:

http://www.springmas...gs/12-inch.html

Edited by marzman

• 1 month later...