Winter Tyre Size

sjcdeans

Getting a set of 17" alloys and intentions of putting winter tyres on.

However i looked up the standard size for 17"

and it should be

front 225/50/17 and 235/50/17 rears

i'm struggling to find a winter tyre in the rear size.

I heard that the rears need to be 3% larger for traction control to stay on etc.

So what advice can u give me

Do i get smaller front and back size or drop the backs to 235/45/17??

Cheers

If you drop the rears to 45 with the fronts at 50 on those sizes the rolling radii won't match up back to front and I would have thought that would have given you TC problems. And just to back up what Dblock said - I have 17s with winter tyres on now - with Brembos.

If you go for 45 on the rear you HAVE to have 45 on the front or you'll get traction control issues -

For reference I went 45 profile on 17" JDM wheels and I do (occasionally) still get the odd hiccough from the TCS if I'm giving her some vigorous exercise. It's OK for 99% of the time but if you pull out to overtake and give her the beanz she'll hesitate - which is pretty disturbing as you're out in the overtaking position. Turning the TCS to OFF solves it (provided you've turned it off when you know you're going to overtake so BEFORE you run into the issue)