Oulton Park Trackday 14/11/12

trackpig

• 2 weeks later...

Looks fun. have you got any footage of the rest of the lap? I would have gone to that one if i knew that you were going. I was there last Saturday (24th nov). it was kind of a spur of the moment thing as i got an e-mail through off easytrack on the wednesday and i fancied one last track day before the the weather got too wintery. it was 1 degree when we arrived though :teeth: unfortunately my day was cut short - running out of rear brake pads. I was gutted. :cry:

I've been there a few times and love the circuit. interesting to see how slidey your able to get. Although am I right in thinking that you have BC racing Coilovers? I have standard suspension and Michelin PSS so i get loads of grip from the tyres but a slightly understeery balance. I can get the tail loose sometimes but I have to really try to do it. normally if i lose grip it is from understeer, even in the traction zones. I am keen to get some coilovers but I'm going to wait until next year before splashing out.

Looks like you have a better direction change through the chicanes as well. I guess you just have a slightly more rigid chassis and less push... really making me want coilovers now :blush:

After my previous sessions at oulton I was watching some onboards (my favourite is linked below) and took some slightly different lines. I Absolutely love cascades. getting the nice knife-edge between the edge of the kerbs and the grass perfectly on the exit on full tyre load and nearly had a crises (in the clarkson sense of the word). my friend in the passenger seat who was experiencing his first ever time on a circuit nearly had one too but from his bottom :lol:

I also had a go at double apexing shell oils hairpin but the understeer was rearing its head a bit and I was struggling to make that line work.

I've not been so active on the forum since it change format and i got a little confused by it all. But please send me a PM next time your doing a trackday and i'll do my best to attend. it isn't easy though living in south cumbria.

Chris

Just booked my newly acquired Z in for March 2nd at Oulton Park- long time off yet but that will give me chance to fettle the bits that need doing- interesting to hear the pad wear from CrumbMC.

Thanks for the vids trackpig- they give me a good idea what to expect.

It's my first UK trackday so any pointers as to what to expect from the Z will be soaked up like a sponge.

interesting to hear the pad wear from CrumbMC.

It's my first UK trackday so any pointers as to what to expect from the Z will be soaked up like a sponge.

I don't think Ferrodo pads can handle anymore than one full track day. The blue stuffs held up fine but the ferrodos can't handle the heat, at oulton anyway.

Best of luck. What company did you book with? It might be time for me to have another outing by then, although i do need to try some other circuits too.

Booked it with Javelin Trackdays- hoping to do Silverstone and possibly Cadwell (more of a bike circuit but i like the elevation changes) as well. Oulton is my local track and the Intnl circuit is superb. Played there a few years back in a Lotus Elise and scared the Lotus instructor due to my lines and kamikaze braking off line :scare: Can't wait for the Spring!

interesting to hear the pad wear from CrumbMC.

I don't think Ferrodo pads can handle anymore than one full track day. The blue stuffs held up fine but the ferrodos can't handle the heat, at oulton anyway.

Best of luck. What company did you book with? It might be time for me to have another outing by then, although i do need to try some other circuits too.

What ferrodo pads are you using? in my experience ive found them to be really good, again 'imo' better than the EBC by miles

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply but ive not been on the forum for a while.

Oulton is hard on the brakes. My EBC bluestuff took a hit - maybe 3mm wear off each pad.

The car on its BC's can be driven fast without sliding but oversteer can easily be provoked. Just how I like it.

It really is nice to be able to turn the damping up for a stiffer ride at the track. You can really get the front to bite with slighty wider tyres, lower ride height and stiffer damping.

I am not saying it makes the Z into a touring car but its impressive for what it is.

Spa is the next trackday for me! Roll on easter Sunday :teeth:

p.s I will drop a PM for the next UK trackday :thumbs: