GearBox Crunch

M_Mendham

Hi Guys, i have owned my current Z for the last 9 months. Its a 2008 with the newer engine. Bought from Nissan but not happy with the gearbox. I think it clunks and knocks far more than is reasonable for a modern sports car, has been back to Nissan (under warranty) and had the gearbox out, taken apart, and rebuilt but i didnt see any difference. does anyone else have this problem or notice the gearbox being a little 'un-refined' ?? 1st to 2nd is the worst change, although it dosnt affect driving the car, the knock when changing gear from 1st is massive. Please let me know if you have the same issue, or is it just the 350z gearbox and common on all cars??

Thanks for your replys

MattM

I've only had my zed for 3-4 weeks now but from what I've read on here it's common for 1st to 2nd to be quite notchy, worse when cold.

If Nissan have had the box out not so long ago and suggest it's ok I would probably put your issues down to the common characteristics of this box rather than any faults.

Jon

Edited by Pnthrblkzs

Matt, I have a 4,000 mile gearbox for your car if needed.

The gearbox being notchy is not too much of an issue but if you have to force the gears then its synchros are on their way out. Can you explain the knock your talking about?

All Zed gearboxes are pretty industrial, even the later ones. If it's just a bit clunky and noisey then I wouldn't worry about it; it's a 'they all do that sir' sort of thing, If you're getting a proper grinding crunch when selecting gears, particularly second, then you could be having synchro issues although I'd have expected that to be picked up by the gearbox rebuild as knackered synchros are pretty damn obvious.

DB