Wheel alignment

Andrew

Hi folks, when you are getting tyres changed e.t.c. in one of these

places that does wheel balancing/alingnment, is there anything i need to be telling them e.g. are there particular settings which i would be better to clarify? What are they?

I'm terrifed i find a load of uneven wear on new tyres because someone at xfit or something has never seen a 350z before.

Is it worry for nothing?

Thanks

If it aint buggere&d dont mess with it! From my experience you can many times make a non existent alignment issue an actual issue by taking it to incompetent numskulls!

I had my old M3 (which had a slight alignment innacuracy) taken to Northway tyres who have these £30k Hunter machines. They tried 3 times (using hammers/blow torches!) & failed to correct saying due to camber issues etc etc its the best they can do. That was after £80!

A little while later while changing tyres again took it to a basic alignment centre (non Hunter) cheaper at £55 but they made it even worse!!

I recently changed the zeds wheels & tyres for 19"s & have not done the alignment as it was absoloutely perfect to begin with. Even if it was a tiny bit out I wouldnt bother, if your worried about uneven tyre wear on one side its still probably cheaper to change tyres a few months early due to this than blowing £100 on an slight alignment adjustment.

Well you wont know exactly what is causing the problem (only on alignment machine), i.e. toe in/toe out/camber/castor, but you can tell if there is a problem.

I firstly check steering wheel is pointing straight perfectly & wheels are straight at slow speeds which usually is good enough. But best is to go on motorway or A road on a straight section, straighten up steering wheel & see where car goes. I.e a straight steering wheel should make car go straight. Then take your hands slightly off the steering wheel (make sure road is straight & flat) & see if car pulls to one side slowly. i.e do you have to keep puting in steering wheel changes in one direction to make car keep straight. Do these a few times over different roads & you get a pretty good idea something is out in the geometry.

well i printed off the nissan bulletin, re: brodgstones making lots of road noise, and showed the techs the alignment angle nissan recommended in there 'recall/bulletin'. It was out of the spec that there machine recommended, but, it was what nissan recommended. it seemed to reduce my road noise. . . . im sure i wasnt imagining it. . .

back was out more than fronts, arr well, all set now until i it a curb. . .B)

Jamie

It cost me £30 for laser wheel alignment. Back was out more than the front. If i remember right, he just aletered the settings with a spanner and watched on the computer screen as he was adjusting it until it came into manufacturer's specs. If no adjustment was needed he wouldn't have charged.

if you have a different suspension setup this is necessary to prevent uneven wear of the tyres (and I speak from experience)

I agree with Liam, as long as you go to someone's who's seen a Z before (ie the guy in Wigan who Liam found and who a few of us have used by now) it's no rocket science to do basic toe adjustments.

With my new suspension my rear camber is just slightly out, but nothing to worry about.