And a Mosquito flies again

Beavis

My all time WW2 Aircarft. :)

Have seen the one in the museum at Hendon but now a flying one......................wow!................I wonder if it will make it over here............if not NZ here come. I am deadly serious. Anyone fancy coming along?

Edited by choptop

My all time WW2 Aircarft. :)

Have seen the one in the museum at Hendon but now a flying one......................wow!................I wonder if it will make it over here............if not NZ here come. I am deadly serious. Anyone fancy coming along?

The Mozzie is destined for the US. Many planes are shipped over to little old NZ as we have some top class plane restoration businesses. The Tempest is staying in NZ though, as with the other thread. :) Tempest is expected to take about 2 years to restore, the Mozzie took longer.

http://www.pioneeraero.co.nz/

Edited by bronzee

Have to agree with the general 'best ww2 aircraft' feelings, they are just spectacular.

Good news about the second Lancaster,I think all planes should be valued in terms of the number of merlin engines they have, so a Lanc is worth two mossies anyway :p

I've seen all the BBMF aircraft fly numerous times during time in the RAF, but one that really stuck with me was during a family walk around Grafham Water. Just the Lancaster flew directly overhead at what was probably about 2000ft but felt more like 300, four merlins that close was an amazing noise, so much more intimidating than the single-engine aircraft. God only knows what it sounded like with literally hundreds of them in the air at once.

DB

I've done the Lancaster taxi ride with Dad in September at East Kirkby :) You should be inside one when the capt. fire-walls the throttles :teeth: I'm sure some sex-wee came out. Just Jane is now running with 4 decent engines, but they have 4 spare crated ones that are airworthy, ready to go in. Last one reconditioned at a cost of £86,000 :surrender: A service of all 96 spark plugs cost something like £7,000 :lol:

Yea, being the other side of the bulkhead from a Merlin is on the bucket list, just not quite managed it yet.

To be fair, it's probably still cheaper to run than a Veyron, and rather than one weedy little W16 you get four supercharged 27 litre V12s with a combined 6,000bhp. I know which I'd rather have :teeth:

DB