Servicing The Car Myself

drfeelgood73

Well,

That's me had the car a wee while now, and have used the info on here to give her a good clean down using the Maguires stuff.... Took 5 hours to do , clay barring included... I was sceptical and worried of damaging the paintwork but after a couple of YouTube vids decided to go for it......

What a difference it makes to the bodywork looks wise and just to the touch.... And I am by no means an expert......

As well as that I decided to buy all the stuff needed to carry out a full service myself.....

Have so far done the basic oil / filter and sump plug change out with a new magnetic one

Changed out the gearbox oil and added the moly slip..... Next time I will get a longer tube so I don't need to shuffle under, find the hole and shuffle out for a refill .... Only had the jacks to work under on the lower level as my trolley jack was digging into the Tarmac drive and wanting to up end if I wanted to go higher..... That was after I realised my jack was too high to slide under straight away at the front.... Oh the joy's......

Flushed out the coolant

Changed the belts

Changed out the brake lines with some new braided HEL ones and new fluid

Changed the plugs

Just got the PAS and the Diff to do now...... And the coil overs as well.......and......

Oh yes, flushed out the air con system ..... Which, you have to watch out for...

I noticed that when you activate the tin and leave it on the floor well, its prays out and it soaks the window above it as we'll as the plastic on the passengers side and some of the centre console..... Be quick to wipe it off as it marks the plastic if left... I never spotted a drop on the ashtray lid after I wiped the rest down.... The next day that spot was mat compared to the rest around it......

It feels good knowing that all the right stuff is the car , as well of knowing I did it myself...

Thanks to the Zman for helping me out with all the bits needed.... My bank balance is certainly not as healthy as what the car now is..... :thumbs:

Hey guys,

Whilst changing out the plugs I found oil in number (6)........ The one nearest the cab on the air intake side...... The coil pack sleeve was coated quite thickly with old sludgy oil..... Nothing inside tip cover though....

There was fresher oil on the plug threads and on the tip..... But I think that got there when it was unthreaded and pulled out as inside the plug hole was dry with no signs of oil. Will run it for few hundred miles and check again.....Any idea's what it could be.... Is it a problem....?

Must admit, found lots of fixing bolts missing from the loom retainers as well as the coil pack for plug 6.... This was signed off by a Nissan garage.... Have replaced them and all is good now....

Another little thing is, that whilst I was u serenata changing the belts I found a small leak running down a pipe Where i cannot see where it ends..... It is the metal pipe attached to the rubber pipe going to the oil filter housing.... It bends up and heads towards the eng block....

Any info much appreciated

This is what you will require to fix the oil leak into the spark plug aperture as unfortunately the seals are not available on there own.

Plenty in stock and good to go same/next day.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/54916-cam-rocker-covers-for-350z/

Alex.

Edited by ZMANALEX

Hi,

I had this same issue on cylinder 6, the seal integrated into the rocker cover fails and lets oil into the spark plug chamber. The general consensus seems to be leave it unless it's causing a problem and after 10k since finding this I haven't had any issues. You can get new rocker covers from Alex but having seen the procedure to fit you would want to replace both covers if you decide to get it fixed.

Jonny

I had planned in sucking all the fluid out the reservoir.... Clamp the feed tube...Then remove it to give it a clean out, I assume there is a filter in there somewhere...... Refill it with new stuff...... Run it for a week or so and see if it stays the same colour.... If not... Just do the same....... I think it would be too much hassle to try and eek out every last drop..... Don't think they hold much anyway.....

Any better ideas welcomed

Thanks Alex...... I knew you would have had the parts ready to go....... Think that might be an after Santa job that one.....

Cool. I just basted the bad stuff out of the top and refilled with fresh for now but wanted to dIsconnect the bottom hose and let everything come out. Some people in the us turn on the car disconnect one pipe and keep filling with fresh fluid but that seems a little hard.