Lower ball joint press?

Dblock

Hi guys,

Looking to change my lower ball joint soon. Now on my dad's merc it uses a similar suspension setup to mine. to press the ball joint out everyone uses this type of tool

safe_image.php?d=AQCpg7O-YKNgZ8c8&url=http%3A%2F%2Fecx.images-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F41vFbjk-CrL.jpg

Is there anything else that anyone uses which would do the same job for cheaper? Its about £100 and it should work on my car and my dads but wanted to see if there was another way without the merc tax :lol:

Cheers :thumbs:

Have you seen the ball joint? That only works on certain types plus it destroys them and doesn't press them in or out. Your better off with the fork with the ratchet attachment. Won't destroy the ball joint and takes most of then out. The one I described could be used on the upper control arm or on cars where the ball joint isn't pressed into the arm.

I was thinking that Chris but I don't want to damage it as they are expensive :lol: I might just have to bite the bullet then. Cheers

I was thinking that Chris but I don't want to damage it as they are expensive :lol: I might just have to bite the bullet then. Cheers

In truth....my solution only works where removing the old ones and they are knackered. Then a moderate tap in with a piece of wood to spread the load and avoid damaging the new joint

It's just a fancy clamp really :lol:

Then go for a nipple clamp for your own store and use a big effing hammer on the car - £95 stays in your pocket :p

Yes but then you will ruin a nice new ball joint (which are £70 each) when hammering it in. Ordered one now £108 but it's all right as it can do most of the cars at the house.

:)