Dealers charging for parts not fitted

southpaw

The car is in at the dealer to have a clutch replaced at 28k miles. I wanted this dealt with under warranty but they said they would have to open it up to take pictures and so on for the warranty claim, and that this would mean the car being off the road for several days. I said to do that, but to go ahead and fit the clutch anyway while they're at it, and if the warranty didn't pay out (knew it was unlikely unless there actually turned out to be something broken) then I would pay. That way I get the car back quicker.

While doing the clutch they tell me I need a new flywheel. As if the £510 for the clutch + fitting isn't enough, the flywheel is another £1560. So I've ordered a JWT clutch and flywheel from the US instead. I have to wait for it to arrive, but it will cost me £600 instead of £1800 for the clutch and flywheel from Nissan.

Now the dealer is saying I still have to pay for the clutch that they ordered, because they can't return it.

Is it just me or is that ludicrous? Why should I pay for anything that isn't fitted? Why the hell can't they put it back into stock? The worst thing is that they have my car and my credit card details so I can't refuse to pay. They have my credit card details because they told me I had to cover the cost of taking the clutch out before they'd go ahead with that work in order to do the warranty claim.

So on top of all the expense of a clutch that isn't fit for purpose wearing out at less than 30k miles on a £30k car, I'm now being shafted by the dealer for a clutch plate I haven't even got.

sounds like a VERY similar situation of a member from the old board..... I find it ridiculous that they can't send the part back, maybe PM the dealer who is on board here to see what he says?

have you signed any document authorising them to charge you whatever the cost???

otherwise walk away (mind you personally I'd have gone somewhere else since they won't cover clutches under warranty) and if they charge you for the nissan clutch, tell your CC to have the charge reversed and so that they have to dispute with the CC company.....

sorry to hear about all these problems mate :(

That sounds ridiculous.

Now I'm not a professional lawyer, but I do have a passing interest in legal matters..

Unless you have signed to say that you agree to pay for the clutch regardless of fitting, they will be on very dodgy legal ground if they charge for it. If they take money from your credit card without proof that you agree to the charges, then they are committing theft. Plain and simple.

Are they seriously saying that they can't just keep hold of the item, or even sell it on to another dealer at cost? What about when the next 350 comes in for a clutch repair?

How do they justify the new flywheel? Indeed how can an item such as a flywheel not be covered under warranty!?!

Sounds to me like they are trying to makea quick buck here. They wont makea great deal of money from doing warranty work, but chargeable work is a whole diferent matter. Sounds like they are trying to pull a fast one to me.

Just tell them that you are going to report the incident to NMGB and request that Nissan investigate the matter with aview to reviewing the status of the dealership.

As Val says, there is a dealer on the board here that has come accross as a very helpful individual and has even posted his contact details for members. Although this is primarily for sales, he may well have some pointers or suggestions for you?

Make an offer of paying a restocking fee, which in the trade is usually 10% of the item value. Do this in writing, asking for their response in writing if they refuse.

Most garages have this agreement with their wholesalers.

Remember your warrantee does not cover ware and tear so a clutch plate is arguable the same as tires, but the fly wheel is not part of ware and tear so should be changed under warrantee (and ask for their response in writing if they refuse).

Allow the dealer to answer in writing before naming him (as others want you to ) Naming him will not help you in the short term.

Remember if you fit a none standard clutch and flywheel Nissan could contest any liable for warrantee claims around that area (gearbox, engine)

I think you should ask all these questions in writing before approaching NMGB for their response and assistance.

At the end if not satisfied name and shame