Gearbox servicings

taffyjason

Not so much noise, second gear on some days is almost unusable, seems that most gears are getting increasingly difficult and it sometimes feels like stirring coal...but tonight from cold it was smooth as silk....its an odd 'box! but definitely getting worse. I think the release bearing is on its way out too, seems to be rattly at times.

I know its not a great design, but looking at options to helping this gearchange, its the only real let down of an otherwise nice car

lol, well a one for one swap with someone would be preferable, i know they are rare as hens teeth!

I assume you replaced yours with a rebuild/low milage one?

what year and miles is yours? Mine packed in at 70k/km 3rd was crunching (is) fourth felt really hard to get in, crunch in 1st and 2nd but that went away :scare: replacing (hopefully happening as I type this..) with a CD009 donor box that has better design and should last a good bit longer. What oil are you / have you been using? When I stuck Nissan oem oil in and a shot of.. mmm can't remember what it's called it behaved better, think I knackered mine with shortshifter / redline oil combo! :dry:

Might be better trying to get a CD009 depending on refurbing costs.

lol, well a one for one swap with someone would be preferable, i know they are rare as hens teeth!

I assume you replaced yours with a rebuild/low milage one?

what year and miles is yours? Mine packed in at 70k/km 3rd was crunching (is) fourth felt really hard to get in, crunch in 1st and 2nd but that went away :scare: replacing (hopefully happening as I type this..) with a CD009 donor box that has better design and should last a good bit longer. What oil are you / have you been using? When I stuck Nissan oem oil in and a shot of.. mmm can't remember what it's called it behaved better, think I knackered mine with shortshifter / redline oil combo! :dry:

Might be better trying to get a CD009 depending on refurbing costs.

If the CD009 box is the one from the HR,then i was pretty reliably informed that these do not fit on the De engine,and the Bell housing is a different shape,so maybe worth checking if you havnt already that it will fit.

To the OP,trying genuine Nissan gearbox oil with Moly slip :pmzmanalex: and see how you get on with that,as you may save yourself a fortune. :thumbs:

There has been alot of topics on making the gearbox smoother etc,and many garages think that putting any rated gearbox oil in is fine,but you will find that using the proper Nissan stuff with the Moly slip additive will probably make a bigger difference than you think,and will improve the shift more than any other oil combo.

Rebuilding the gearboxes isn't cheap , especially if it need s a couple of synchro's and a bearing or 2, but buying a S/H ( pre-owned) gearbox you maybe in the same position in a short time or straight away.

Rebuild the gearbox you know it will be spot on and your have a piece of mind.

I would need to study the part listing on the gearboxes to see what the difference is between the late and early gearboxes.

It is a hard job to estimate a cost to rebuild your gearbox until we have stripped your gearbox.

CD009 will fit on a DE.

Anyway, 1k for a CD009 :lol: shop around mate, got mine for 60% less of 1k...

:dry: Well... CD009 gearbox = no good :rant:

suppose that's what you can get hit with if unlucky. At least stung with the labor on fitting the gearbox now, and x2 that also :thumbdown::bang:

Still think CD009 is the way to go instead of servicing the current one. :drunk:

I've been on the hunt for a CD009, seems the cheapest so far is around 1k, i figure the sellers realise they can mostly get away with it, regardless of how much its worth! i'll keep hunting though..

Today the box has been very nice to me, all slick changes...but then it does in the warm...come winter, its a miserable cranky old thing, really doesnt want to get out of bed!