Another squeaky belt question

Dblock

So my belt has started squeaking again. I assumed this happened as the belt stretched slightly or I didnt do it up tight enough.

But its really skreechy and horrible and usually happens for about 1 minute when I start the car. Now the thing that makes me think it might be something else is that the voltage gauge will only show 12v. Once it stops squeaking it goes back to 14ishv. It did it when I was on my way home randomly aswell which was embarrassing. Sometimes if I have my music on and I come to traffic lights it will do it now and again aswell.

So loose belt or something else?

Cheers as usual :thumbs:

So check how tight the belts are and tighten them if required...it takes less than 10 mins :doh:

10mins? My under tray is held on with only cable ties. 1 hour minimum.

Need to drill them out actually.

It was the other symptoms that worried me.

So check how tight the belts are and tighten them if required...it takes less than 10 mins :doh:

Hope you get it sorted:)

Hope you get it sorted:)

Is something draining the battery?

And not trying to patronise you but when you start it up are all the ancillerys off like air con

radio ect? My Canal boat often did it and I ended up changing the regulator in the alternator.

It just sounds like something is draining tha battery and the screeching is the alternator working overtime to replace the lost charge!

But no doubt you have already thought of this?

Something is draining that battery when the ignition is off.

Plus you could have a dodgy cell on the battery.

Worth getting it tested.

Recently we changed 3 battery's on my mates misses Boxter.

Traced the fault back to aftermarket Amp that had been installed by a numpty

by giving it a direct feed?

Whatever it is it's staring you in the face and no doubt frustrating the heck out of you!

B)

Something is draining that battery when the ignition is off.

Plus you could have a dodgy cell on the battery.

Worth getting it tested.

Recently we changed 3 battery's on my mates misses Boxter.

Traced the fault back to aftermarket Amp that had been installed by a numpty

by giving it a direct feed?

Whatever it is it's staring you in the face and no doubt frustrating the heck out of you!

B)

Its not just a drain though. Even if its been standing for quite a few day it still goes straight to 12v. If it was below 12v then it would be a problem. I've had a dead battery before and you are lucky to get even 8v. The alternator does charge the battery but the belt squeaks and when it squeaks the alternator doesnt seem to provide power to the car hence the gauge going back to 12v from 14.4v.

Hopefully its just a loose belt. I hope its not something in the alternator thats starting to seize or something.

I hope you get it sorted..sorry if I came over a bit harsh, but I would tighten the belts up even if you get then on the tight side briefly to see if it solves it. if not then yes there may be another issue. But it would take 10 mins excluding getting the car jacked up, and okay another 10 mins to put it all back together clean the under tray etc...my point was its not a big job. For sure start to finish 30 mins then!! and that would include copper greasing and the fixing screws so they come out easy next time.

When I had my 350 I changed the belts in half and hour let alone just tighten them...

So best of luck and I hope it is just a loose belt as thats the easy cheap option.

:surrender:

I only asked as I am getting belt slip for the first 2 - 5 mins when I sart mine thought it was the SC (again) but it's the Alternator pulley and one change was the AMS pulleys !?

Got to take the fron off mine to fit the oil cooler so may swap the pulley back, but I think its battery drain on mine.

Cheers Doc and Keyser :thumbs: advice is much appreciated. Will tighten and hopefully that will fix it.

Let me know if that fixes if Keyser providing the belt is on the same tightness.

It's a pain as I commute quite late and a car screaming at 3-4am isn't good. I got some dodgy looks when on the way home and that was bad :lol:

Well it was a loose belt :lol:

But I think it was loose because the nut on the tensioner pulley needs changed. I used another nut but its bigger and I would prefer to put OEM size back on just in case. AC belt was still tight though. :lol:

Hopefully the zman will answer my pms :thumbs:

Glad you got it sorted :thumbs:

I have mine (after I tightened it) to just a small chirp on start up. Don't want to go any tighter as it puts a lot of pressure on the SC pulley and they aren't slipping. See how she does for a while now.