Loose steering

hawker1986

Hi all,

Just a quick question. Weve noticed the steering on our Zed seems to have gotten a bit looser for lack of a better word. Just that it doesnt feel so hard to turn the wheel and when you're driving along when it hits a bump theres a bit more wobble fed back. Full lock seems to be about 2.5 turns which I presume is normal. Just wondering if its anything I should be getting looked at or possibly if its just because its getting more use. Only thing ive had done is 4 wheel alignment a month or so ago, which admittedly was all over the shop before it was sorted.

Any idea or suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks

Hawker

I'm no expert.. but maybe if the car isn't as responsive to turn in.. might be your lower compression arm bushes going? When I got mine changed to super pro the front would dart in a lot more keenly and the wheel was much more sensitive as a result.

Other than that maybe tyre pressure might affect it? I'm sure the real experts will be along soon but those are my thoughts!

might be your lower compression arm bushes going? When I got mine changed to super pro the front would dart in a lot more keenly and the wheel was much more sensitive as a result.

That'd be my first thought too, I did my compression arm bushes along with drop links and a couple of suspension bushes and it felt like a new car afterwards.

Was it a gradual deteriation in steering feel?

If the car has done 60-70K or more it's probably ready for a bush refresh anyway (ooh err missus!).

Ive been feeling the same way since christmas, it comes and goes and I cant decide if the before christmas it just felt new and lovely and now im used to it but I feel it "go light" over some simple undulations and find at slow speeds 30-40 I have to turn the wheel more but theres less resistance

Ive been feeling the same way since christmas, it comes and goes and I cant decide if the before christmas it just felt new and lovely and now im used to it but I feel it "go light" over some simple undulations and find at slow speeds 30-40 I have to turn the wheel more but theres less resistance

Que?

:lol:

Yeah turns out it was the tyre pressures, they were all down around 28, should really have checked them when I got it rather than trusting the AA man to know what he was doing. Back up to 35 and feeling tight again :)

MDMetal I suggest you check that and see if thats the problem.

Many thanks all for all the usual good advice :)

Hawker