Touchscreen mini mac program?

Zedrush

The in car PC idea is something ive always wanted to do for ages, but never really found the time or resources to make a go of it.

I think there are many (myself included) that although we are fairly technicaly able, would love to do this but just havent quite got the skills to that level. A "how to" guide for this would be excellent. I can volunteer my assistance to anyone who wants to get such a guide up on this site, Id love to get one in my car so would be willing to put the guide together with the technical assistance of anyone who has done this or wants to do this.

Hopefully we can end up with a specific parts list, installation and setup guide for members. :thumbs:

As I posted in another thread here a couple of days ago, I am in the process of doing this and can probably do a write up as I go.

I am installing a mini itx pc and touchscreen system - I have all the hardware I need now I think, except some wiring and a 2003 satnav cubby, going to order that on tuesday when I am at the dealers...

I am thinking to visit a car audio shop to get some of the wiring done unless there is someone around sw london here who would be interested in helping out B)

there are a whole host of touchscreen options you can buy - the standard thing is to get a 7 inch touchscreen.. this is what I have, it's 800x480 resolution and has a vga connection and a usb connection for the touchscreen control..

there are many makes of such screens, the 2 best known being lilliput and xenarc... you can also get screens that fold out from the radio DIN holes or are roof mounted..

check:

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/gl/1

my screen is a bit like:

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/45 (but its not actually made anymore)

to fit a screen like that in the sat nav cubby you have to make some cuts into the cubby plastic (behind the facia) and remove the touchscreen from its casing to fit it in..

it shouldnt be difficult at all providing the touchscreen provides mac drivers..

they mostly do I believe - the one I linked does..

then you just connect the screen to 12v power source (ie car!), and to the computer via usb (the touchscreen part goes over this) and vga (the picture goes over this!)..

once you install the drivers the screen will act like a mouse - albeit with 1 button (but then you are used to that using a mac i guess!). The touchscreen driver software normally allows you to calibrate the screen so that where your finger is and where the computer thinks your finger is match up :)

Okay almost have everything I need to get this baby on the go, been on a couple of forums and everyone says DO NOT USE YOUR MAC TO RUN THROUGH THE 4 CHANNEL AMPS TO POWER SPEAKERS, they say get a head unit that the mac can speak through and let the headunit go through the speakers. Other wise there will be alot of wierd sounds coming through. Great, more money to spend :wacko::) . So now I need to know which is a cheap but okay head unit to get for this, probably get on ebay preferably under a 100, someone said it should have aux in or out for this to work cant remember. Any help guys?? Great thing is I can still have radio with this head unit. which was proving a headache if I just ran everything of the mac mini :thumbs:

yes you need a head unit with aux in - you will also need an adapter to run between the bose amp and the head unit if you have the GT(bose) setup..

you can look for a PAC-OEM converter on ebay is best bet if you need to do this.. I ordered one from the states and it works OK, was a bit of messing around with the wiring as I didn't get a harness adapter kit (you can get one of these to make it easier if you dont fancy fiddling around with wiring schematics!)

the head unit I have gone for is a double-DIN one - the kenwood dpx501 but its more like 200 quid than 100.. I didnt want a single DIN one though, I am sure you can find a cheap one for 100 somewhere..

yes you need a head unit with aux in - you will also need an adapter to run between the bose amp and the head unit if you have the GT(bose) setup..

you can look for a PAC-OEM converter on ebay is best bet if you need to do this.. I ordered one from the states and it works OK, was a bit of messing around with the wiring as I didn't get a harness adapter kit (you can get one of these to make it easier if you dont fancy fiddling around with wiring schematics!)

the head unit I have gone for is a double-DIN one - the kenwood dpx501 but its more like 200 quid than 100.. I didnt want a single DIN one though, I am sure you can find a cheap one for 100 somewhere..

Tha adapter that runs between the bose amp and the head unit, my local audio fitters will have this?