Help - 350 start up issues?

hyeung

Hi,

My 350z is experiencing startup issues as of yesterday evening. There are no mods, standard 2005 model and had since new.

I could not start her up yesterday. You can hear it crank up but never quite manages to fire? Tired a couple more times, waiting a few seconds in between but same problem.

During the ON position I noticed that the battery volts was sitting around the first quarter mark. I think it usual sits at the half way mark? With further attempts at startup, it got to the point where I could not even hear it crank. Having left the car off for a couple of minutes, I gave it another try and it eventually fired up...but really struggled!

While the engine was running the battery volt reading was now sitting at the 3/4 mark as expected.

There was no error lights, and the car appeared to drive fine?

After a 30min drive got home,  engine off and switched ignition to ON position. The battery volt reading was at the half way mark as expected.

Tired a couple of engine starts and fired without issue.

Left the car till the morning. Tired to start the engine with same issues. You could hear it crank but does not manage to start.

With further attempts it eventually stops to crank, dash lights still come on. It appears the battery either gets more drained.

Switched ignition to ON position and noticed the battery volts was sitting at the first quarter mark. 

I also checked the security light in the corner of the windscreen. Blinks red normally, but when in ON position it stops blinking. So suggests the keys are ok? Also tired my other key with same issue?

Left it for a few minutes and tired again.....eventually managed to barely start the thing up! Decided to just take the car to the infiniti garage for checkup. Again was able to startup in the usual way without issues at the garage (after 30min drive there).

They checked the battery and alternator and said it checks fine? Battery looks to be well charged...Don't have any further detail of checks.

I've left the car with them and hope they can look over again come Monday. I'm sure the car will have issues starting first time.

Sorry for the long description.....

Any ideas what this could be? 

Concerned this is going to take sometime to figure out :headhurt:

Yup they were replaced with the oem platinum ones about 2yrs ago.

The car is on 65k now.

Is there a chance of any dirt or moisture on the plugs? Would this cause the issues I'm experiencing?

If the car starts and runs for sometime, I have no issues with subsequent startups as it would seem. But the next day I'm faced with the startup issues?

Hey Alex,

How you doing!

The garage told me the battery charge checks out fine today? Will ask about the starter motor thou thanks.

So I assume nothing else looks to be likely other than these items? I did read on the issues with NATS anntena etc but don't know if the applies? Will find out more on Monday...

Cheers,

Hung

Hey Alex,

How you doing!

The garage told me the battery charge checks out fine today? Will ask about the starter motor thou thanks.

So I assume nothing else looks to be likely other than these items? I did read on the issues with NATS anntena etc but don't know if the applies? Will find out more on Monday...

Cheers,

Hung

Good luck Hung :thumbs:

Hopefully it will not be anything serious or expensive mate.

Batteries can be funny on the 350Z and it does not take much for them to cause loads of weird issues when not up to the task.

I am starting to dismantling a 350Z so most parts are available at the moment.

Alex :)