Why would you bother?

Could any of the powers that be enlighten me as to why

they would choose to use the address www.DELETED.CO.UK

for this site please??

Deliberately confusing?I think so!

I frequent both sites and understand some of the problems of late.

I thought that these issues had been ironed over and everyone were all just going to get along??

Seeing as both sites now have a healthy population with a fair few people using both, Why bother with this move??!!

TIA

George

It is to attract as many members as possible, just the same as people use incorrect spellings of google, yahoo and microsoft etc.

The name was actually registered 28th Dec. Before the OC went live on 1st January.

Why does the OC continue to use 350zuk.com (without the hyphen) is this to catch our pottential members who may miss the hyphen?

I know it is the "old site" but anyone wanting to make the switch will have done so by now, so why the continued use of it?

We have actually purchased a number of domains and redirected here, for much the same reason as any other organisation would.

Hope that helps..

if you do something, might as well do it as best as you can, that's my motto.

I can't believe in 18 months that took the committe members to setup the OC (!) , in all their wisdom they overlooked something so basic as the different domains purchase.

I can't help but think if they asked for suggestions from the members of the old site, someone might have pointed them in the right direction...

I don't hold any grudge, but I am 110% committed to make this site work and become the best z site in the UK. If that means purchasing a few extra domains, so be it :)

also, moved (LEAVING THE SHADOW TOPIC where it was originally as to not confuse people...) to a more appropriate area :)

Guest prescience
Could any of the powers that be enlighten me as to why

they would choose to use the address www.DELETED.CO.UK

for this site please??

Deliberately confusing?I think so!

I frequent both sites and understand some of the problems of late.

I thought that these issues had been ironed over and everyone were all just going to get along??

Seeing as both sites now have a healthy population with a fair few people using both, Why bother with this move??!!

TIA

George

I am sure that the person concerned would entertain offers to purchase the name (and no its not me) :) which was indeed registered before the OC site's launch

In the spirit of moving forward harmoniously - despite that not being an appropriate word hitherto

Guys,

Congratulations on the new site. The fact that 350Z owners in the UK now have 2 user communities is great news for all concerned. Choice is good and the 2 different bodies offer that, through their different approaches.

I for one think that we should co-exist harmoneously. I am not involved with the running of either site, though I am a committee member of the OC.

As for the URL redirect, I believe that the 'old' site should point to both new sites, and that the ownersclub.co.uk URL should point to the owners club. Fair play to the mods here for getting in there and nicking the name but it is a touch misleading. Hopefully, we can sort something out with cross-referring of posts too, once everyone has chilled out a little. I understand why the whole issue has been emotive for all concerned but we should stop fighting and get back to what we do best - serving 350Z owners in the UK.

So here's to a great user community and more choice for owners :thumbs:

And here's to bitching, competing and all the other negative stuff :thumbdown:

Craig

why should the ownersclub.co.uk url point to the ownersclub, yet the 350zuk.com url point to both sites?

If the OC want DELETED.co.uk to point to their site, then 350zuk.com points to this one. Non negotiable.

Our site is almost considered a profanity over there. any links to this site are removed, and help given to members telling them that it came from this site, is frowned upon. Yet over here we allow discussions of this nature. Why? because we are doing it for the joy of the Z and motoring in general, and not to protect our own little empire.

Heres a test to see just how much the OC want to work in harmony...

How about an OC member starts a thread in an open area of the OC discussing this very same issue and whether they should let 350z-uk.com have the old url and whether 350z-uk.com should redirect the ".co.uk" url to the OC - see how that goes down.

Like a fart in a lift would be my guess.

Working in harmony requires movement from both parties. I dont agree with poking fun at the OC, nor would I agree with anyone poking fun at us over on the OC.

As soon as people are allowed to discuss our site over in the open areas of the OC, we can begin to work in harmony. Until then, its just a matter of trying to keep the peace..

craig, can i ask you how did you manage to become a committee member? i don't recall you being a mod or particularly involved in the old site?

or are you posting under a different nick? I believe I know every committee member personally, but not you? strange :wacko:

Plus a little healthy competition surely can only benefit the end user and 350Z owner? :)

you should know by now we are not into bitching :D

Also you can't point 1 domain to 2 different sites ;)

Good post Craig,

I agree with all your points, but remember we have the skill to offer a free and enjoyable site, and are sharp enough to evolve into the best (we all should aim for the top) as you guys have noticed.

This is not about two clubs with common interests; we deliberately don’t call ourselves the “owners clubâ€

I completely agree that this is a two way street. I am not into point scoring and I intend to start a discussion on the OC forum about the whole harmony/badmouthing issue. Both sides are guilty to some extent.

As for the URL redirect, that is bound to be emotive. As the whole point of this forum was not to be an owners club, it seems a bit deceptive to use the URL in question. This is only my opinion and as you have bought the URL, you will use it as you see fit. I am also not implying that the OC forum is whiter than white.

I have no axe to grind against anyone as those who have met me will know. I was not heavily involved in the old site and am only on the fringes of the OC.

Many people have invested a great deal of time and effort into their respective creations (old and new) and they are understandably sensitive about things. I just hope that the sensitivity fades and we can get along.

Craig

Edit:

V, we met at JAE. I was never heavily involved in the site but was a member for 2.5 years and said I was happy to help if required. I'm only a regional coordinator so it's hardly a big role.

Craig,

It’s good to talk with someone from over the fence that is committed to freedom of speech as we are, so as a good will jester I will donate the name to any organization that you name, in return for your discussions about the issues and enjoyment you recieve from both sites, on the free side of your site.

Good luck

As for the URL redirect, that is bound to be emotive. As the whole point of this forum was not to be an owners club, it seems a bit deceptive to use the URL in question.

I fail to see why you regard our purchase of the ownersclub.co.uk domain as deceptive.

There are several members of the OC site that are not owners, including some of the "higher ranking" individuals. As far as I am aware, not owning a Z does not disqualify you from becoming a member either. So why the name "ownersclub" at all?

Is the whole point of the OC to be an "Owners Club"? If it is, then why the free areas open to non owners? Indeed why allow non owners in at all?

Now, without talking about cost or price - please point out the difference between this site and the OC. In particular, what defines the OC site as an Owners Club when compared to this site.

Chris.

It’s up to their site as we don’t have control over writing on the old site, but in time it won’t be an issue as if we grow at the rate we are, using Google and free advertising we will be known to all by the end of the year. So time is on our side.

Remember a good service is the best advertisement going, that’s why we opted for the best hosting package, to avoid a slow experience for members and having to upgrade and move.

Would it be possible (i.e. ask the domain owner) to make links to both sites available on the old 350zuk.com domain.

Sparkie....that would be great and I encourage you to ask it on the OC as they know the owner of the domain name.

Also isn’t it nice that no one this site expresses themselves with comments about masturbation, or of users of that particular pleasure.

Steve

Guest prescience

Also isn’t it nice that no one this site expresses themselves with comments about masturbation, or of users of that particular pleasure.

Steve

Do i detect a bit of history, steve - best not go there :headhurt::lol:

Hmm indeed, lets not go there... we all know the situation.

If any further arrangements or changes to where any domains point, or where domains have links to etc come about, then the admins of either board can discuss this via email etc.

We are both here to stay, so its best if we all get along..

Their members are welcome to signup here, just as any of ours would be free to become paying members of their site if they wish, it is totally the individuals choice.

The word "choice", represents the entire reason why this site was created.

Guest prescience

I can think of another 4-letter word beginning with 'f' and ending in 'e' :lol:

But seriously, you're right, we will have to co-exist cos both are here to stay :)