It's pretty bad... Gearbox/clutch...

Luke0549

Hi!

Just a bit of advice or any suggestions really?

Since I bought the car the gearbox made a noise when not engaged but when as soon as clutch was depressed.

Now, it's pretty bad, also gear changes are becoming so hard/difficult.

I'm on holiday for two weeks so given my dad the task of getting it looked at for me.

Had my next door neighbour have a quick look who thinks its something to do with when the gearbox engages/ the bearing?

Will a simple oil change and lube up of the gear box solve these issues? Or is it a full on new clutch/gearbox? If so, anyone know what kind of price I'll be looking at?

Sounds like a new clutch is needed along with some new gearbox oil and moly :)

IMHO that should sort the noise and the hard gear change.

:pmzmanalex: for the parts and find a local garage to fit em :thumbs:

It may be gearbox aswell but they usually seem to last OK.

For the price i paid, it was worth it!

Well I hope it was at least £2k off the market price, because having just had a complete gearbox and clutch replacement, I can tell you that £2k is about how much it'll cost you if it's all fooked, lol.

DB

2k?!

You sure you haven't been done over?

Would expect half that even if you need a whole new gearbox...

Very sure I wasn't done over. Got a very cheap low mileage gearbox and had a trusted garage (Horsham Developments) do all the labour for exactly what they quoted, but the clutch and flywheel are the killers price-wise as you really need to change them both at the same time. I'll be honest and say £2k is a slight exaggeration, but if i'd paid the going rate for my gearbox instead of getting it cheap (guys I bought it from didn't really know what they had) then it would have been about that.

Hopefully your problem isn't going need a total replacement. Bear in mind that the transmission on these cars is pretty noisey, and not the smoothest to operate, so a lot of what you're experiencing could just be normal.

DB

Sounds like its likely to be the release bearing thats making the noise, (not really worth doing unless the clutch is shot) Also have a look at the slave cylinder, they are fairly common to fail, but first of all get some fresh fluid bled through to eliminate the cheapest possible cause first.