AAM spacer, Motordyne IsoThermal kit, TB spacer, eng. damper

Removed

Just finished installing a few bits and pieces, getting my engine bay ready (well, half ready)

First I took off my grubby plenum, and the lower plenum to install the Isothermal Aramid gasketS. Yes I put 2 on as in the instructions they mentioned that some Zs can have the clearance for 2 of them, for extra heat shielding. Hopefully my strut bar will still fit ok :teeth:

After I started installing the engine damper, and that was quite a PITA tbh, not easy locations to reach and quite a few scratched knuckles. Also a bolt wouldn't shift (as usual on my car :dry: ) but now I have my new toy: the air compressor :teeth: with the air ratchet I finally managed to dislodge it :teeth:B) After re-routing a couple of earth wires I finally managed to get the engine torque damper on. My engine now barely moves when revving B)

Then it was the time of the AAM plenum spacer, which went on ok, after having attached the throttle body spacer and the copper IsoThermal spacer to the throttle body. This caused the cooling hoses not to fit correctly, so I had to install in this order:

Plenum --->IsoThermal copper spacer--->throttle body spacer--->throttle body. This way there were no rubbing issues and it all fit ok.

On to tightening the plenum bolts, and for some reason the spacer wouldn't line up easily with the lower plenum, causing a few bolts not to catch :dry: Of course I found out after having tightened all of the bolts, minus 1 :dry: After swearing a bit, I loosened all bolts and with a little movement, they finally caught and could be tightened. The K&N CAI is quite tight now, touching the plastic battery casing, due to the TB spacer, but it's still secure, somehow. I'll keep an eye on it.

All bolts have now been replaced with SS ones, making the engine bay look much nicer.

Still haven't put the strut bar or the engine cover back on, but at least I'm ready to tune with the UTEC, once Paul @ TDI North gives me the OK :teeth:

I could have used the day to trial fit the bonnet again after more prepping done in order to make it shut properly. but run out of light hours :( Will get on it sooner or later

Pics soon

haven't driven it yet. What i will say is that last night I got Debbie to rev it after installation, and the engine now barely flexes, whereas before it was flexing quite a lot.

I got the damper from ebay seller Delubozparts, but looking at the quality of it I suspect it comes from the same manufacturers as the Stillen one ;) Quite a nice looking piece of kit.

dampens the engine flexing. Energy is lost when the engine flexes too much, instead of being transformed into hp. the less movement the better, but I'm sure you knew that already.

My engine has been flexing a bit too much for my tastes (numerous signs of this with the old Kinetix V4 plenum) hence this mod.

Guest prescience
dampens the engine flexing. Energy is lost when the engine flexes too much, instead of being transformed into hp. the less movement the better, but I'm sure you knew that already.

My engine has been flexing a bit too much for my tastes (numerous signs of this with the old Kinetix V4 plenum) hence this mod.

No honestly I didn't know that - I can't see that you lose more hp in movement than in noise for example but if you're happy :thumbs:

moving!

lift your bonnet, get the car warmed up then get someone to rev it for you.

you'll see the engne moving (more or less, depending on the car I suppose) substantially. the damper is supposed to stop that.

In theory the engine mounts should prevent this for the most part, but in order to make the car more comfortable, they allow a little flexing.

This was confirmed this morning when i drove the car to work.

Apart from definitely feeling a little more torque low down (forgot how much a spacer/plenum can be felt! :teeth:B)) in first gear you could actually tell the steering column slightly (and by that I mean really slightly) vibrating when pulling out. This is, according to others who have the engine damper, the result of the engine not flexing as much anymore, and transmitting a little vibration to the cabin. I think i can live with that :)

Nice! :teeth:

What does the spacer do on the throttlebody? is that there for the plenum or does it have its own benefits?

just increase the air amount into the plenum really, imo the same as the plenum spacer. some say it makes a little difference mpg wise too, I'll have to see if that is true too.