Cheap Clear Front Reflector Mod - with pics

The Seasider

It's been a long time in the planning but today was the day that I finally braved the elements and my complete lack of aptitude to take on the rather horrid front reflectors.

I bought myself this tape off Amazon for about £5

Reflectivetape.jpg

This is it in close - up. It is pretty reflective but I guess it doesn't show in daylight.

Reflectivetapecloseup.jpg

In short, this tape is going on the reflectors

I have to confess that I didn't think to take photos at every stage but hopefully you'll get the idea from the pics that I did take.

The first stage is to loosen /partly remove the bumper - I got a couple of guides off here which did the job.

Once it's loosened you should be able to get a a screwdriver on the two screws which hold in each reflector.

As the reflectors have some recesses on the face of them (styling I think you'd say) these will affect the way the way the tape adheres, so I thoroughly cleaned the reflectors, lightly sanded all the front surface with 600 grit wet and dry. Next I mixed a small amount of body filler and smoothed the fronts. Left this to dry for half an hour before sanding it down with 600 grit, then 1200 finishing with 2500.

Next I carefully covered the reflectors with pre-cut lengths of tape and using a hairdryer and a credit card smoothed the tape over the reflectors before trimming with a craft knife.

Then it was back into the bumper with the reflectors - two screws in each and then re-attached the bumper. Just one screw left over so i must be getting better!

And after all that - about 2 hours work - this was what I was left with...

350Zwithnewreflectors.jpg

Here it is a bit closer...

Reflectorshot1.jpg

and closer still...

ReflecctorShotCloseUp.jpg

I'm pleased with the results and I think it should last ok because the edges of the tape are inside the bumper so shouldn't get too much weathering, but it did seem to be very sticky particularly with the heat of the hairdryer on it.

Although they do look white in the pics the reflectors appear light silver to the naked eye - which is what I wanted.

If anyone wants any additional detail - let me know and I'll try and help :)

Nice job!

Ive got a roll of this tap in my garage already, its infra-red reflective signal tap we used it when i was in the army, we would cut a little patch off the roll (about an inch sqaured) and stick+stich it on to the top of the sleves on our shirts, jackets etc etc so that if you got into something nasty while on tour and you had pax (people) or vehicles or helo's using infra red it would reflect the infra red and they could see you alot easier.

Hope that helps you :)

• 2 weeks later...