Overheating. Fans & AC not working

C.J

To be honest, I'd had it looked at by an Indi, to be told nothing was wrong.

Then it overheated again.

Nissan are expensive, but for peace of mind it's got 12 months warranty, and I need the car for work.

• 2 weeks later...

Could of been fixed in an hour...maybe two and freeing off the brushes... what doesnt anybody try this first..it does work oh why :bangin:

Prise the motor body apart...........remove the carbon brushes...........dress them with a needle file or using carborundum paper, grade 400 or 240.......put back together...recrimp motor body.....job done. I reckon theres a living to be had doing this!!! I would double check alls working again by applying 12V before putting back on the car. :thumbs:

• 4 months later...

Thanks for this thread guys - I bought a Zed a few weeks ago and had the same problem- parked up, then steam coming out of the bonnet, coolant bubbling and big green puddle on the floor. Took it to a local Nissan dealership who charged me to investigate the electrics, then tried to charge me £320+ to rebuild the water pump(?!).

Instead, based on this thread I had the car moved to Lockwood & Greenwood who agreed that the fan motors were at fault. I ordered two new fan motors from Amazon.com at approximately £25 each plus pnp and they have been fitted and everything is now running smoothly.

• 5 years later...

I know this thread is donkeys years old however rather than starting another thread i thought I'd add into this one...... so my DE today decided to overheat with coolant overflowing to a nice puddle on the floor..... much like this ops.....

Now i figured it was the fans after i got towed back and started her up again and after about 10 minutes the water temp rose to about 110c and no fans kicked in...... even when putting on ac would any motor turn on... even with a swift tap....... fuses all checked and fine..... not tested for power yet will do tomorrow...... however,  surely both motors don't just go at the same time right???

I will try sort my motors out in the suggested way.... if i take the top coolant hose off to remove the fan assembly..... after refitting i take it a top up of coolant and bleeding are necessary??

From what i remember one fails earlier but you rarley notice. I.e one fan does the ac and the other the engine temp if it gets too hot. If like me, you run with ac on most of the time then your ac fan is doing the job of the main cooling fan. Only when they both fail do you notice. Also the cooling is pretty good on these cars and normal air flow is enough to keep it cool in standard British weather. Its only getting stuck in traffic in weather like today that it pushes it over the edge.  Mine went about 5 years back. I too thought at the time it was odd theyd both failed but when i diagnosed it i could tell  one fan had been dud all along. 2nd went in hot weather with the ac working overtime.Being handy. I Pulled fan assembley out without draining rad. Dismantled motors, filed the motor brushes  down and been good ever since (another 30k) .