Help with irritating noise

Shinjuku

I have what might be either the clicky axle or the creaking suspension (or both).

Anyway, by using the "alternate window down" method and standing next to the car I decided that the more common driver's side CV joint had failed so I got a new one fitted a while back.

Unfortunately the noises are still there.

They are multiple "clicky" "stone in tyre" type noises when either:

- moving off

- starting to reverse

- driving along and applying mild throttle

- driving along and releasing mild throttle.

It happens all the time and with the good weather I've had the roof down a lot so have been able to hear it (it also seems worse in the heat, but that might be me imagining it).

So, is it likely to be the near side CV joint, or whatever causes the creaking suspension, or something else.

As I say, its not limited to a single click - often there are two, three or four distinct noises not just a single one. Does that rule anything out?

Thanks for any advice.

Shinkjuku

Drop links changed? Have you lubed those little rubber bungs on the inside of the doors???? If not do it with some silicone grease.

My roadster drove me mad with these creaks after many things done, it turned out to be those rubber door stops..... :rant:

Process of elimination if an informed diagnoses is not to hand.

(1) Take car for short spin with rear sway bar drop links disconnected and tied up out the way.

(2) Check for brake pad movement within rear calipers

(3) Greaze splines within rear hub assembly.

(4) Greaze and rotate 180 degrees outer axle slide, remembering to clean up the faces.

(5) Replace rear outer axle slide.

Edit (6) Door stops. :blush::lol::lol::lol:

Alex :)

Open the door, about in line with the bottom of the door handle(outter), Look on the inside of the door. About the diameter of a 5p and about 10mm long.

Where are these bungs Zugara?

Thanks Alex. I will have a look.

Zugara, Alex,

I took the car to my regular garage and he said that the rear drop links and brake pads were fine so we turned to Alex's next steps.

I'd mentioned this thread http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60165 to him so he slapped some grease around for me!

At the moment it drives without a single noise of any sort. Beautiful! :yahoo:

I'm about to go on a 2000 mile road trip spanning two weeks and incorporating some track action, so I'll let you know what the situation is when I get back.

I've sprayed a bit of silicone on the door stop Zugara, just in case!

Cheers