Wheel colour recommendations....

sipar69

I posted recently about a refurb on my Black Edition Rays. Cut a long story short, the finish was not as good as I initially thought - the refurbed wheel looks noticably darker at some angles. Much as I love the colour on the Black Edition wheels it's an absolute nightmare to get them properly matched (there is no code available either!).

This shows the refurbed wheel - definitely darker at the back and it's not just the way the light is hitting it....

011.jpg

This and the fact that I've just kerbed the driver side wheel quite badly has made me decide to bite the bullet and get all four wheels re-done by a reputable local company. The advantage will be that they will have the code if it happens in future so repairs will not be so difficult. I'd welcome any views on what would look good with the quartz body colour (pictures and the name of the colour if you know it would be great). I don't want to go for black wheels, but I still want them to be dark. :thumbs: Thanks

Why not just get them done as near to what they are now, once they are all the same nobody will know any different :shrug:

Thanks - that's sort of what I mean but there are a lot of different shades of dark grey - I was hoping someone might be aware of a particular shade that they think looks good. I've been doing quite a bit of looking myself and I think these Volks in Pressed Graphite look quite similar (minus the red bit of course!) http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/volk-racing-te37sl-pressed-graphite-wheel-18x105-5x120-p-98949.html

I was hoping to be able to take a colour name or even better a code to show them but I guess I can just take some pictures and compare against the current shade etc

Well someone might have a name I guess, just make sure it matches the car and is shiny...

What about being fancy and getting some flecks blown into it that catch the sun B)

Yep - I definitely want them to be glossy - not keen on matt wheels. Think I'll pass on flecks - it seems to be that feature of the current wheels that causes all the problems. Looks really nice but impossible to match if they get damaged. Even Nissan couldn't help :surrender: I'm wondering if it's better to go with a colour that's slightly darker than the body....

Well someone might have a name I guess, just make sure it matches the car and is shiny...

What about being fancy and getting some flecks blown into it that catch the sun B)

Yep - I definitely want them to be glossy - not keen on matt wheels. Think I'll pass on flecks - it seems to be that feature of the current wheels that causes all the problems. Looks really nice but impossible to match if they get damaged. Even Nissan couldn't help :surrender: I'm wondering if it's better to go with a colour that's slightly darker than the body....

Hmm any darker and you might as well just go black, they will be very dark :thumbdown:

The problem with the current wheels is they are a multi-stage type paint. This includes having a base colour then a less solid coat over them. Makes it have a lovely look - from dark grey to silver in some lights - but is a sod to match, as actually theres 2 colours to match - base colour and next colour - and there might even be colouring in the clear coat, so 3 colours to match! And you have to paint them in 3 stages too, no single touch up will ever match.

Best bet would be to go for a metallic anthracite colour. You get the flecks of metallic catching the light to give a good look, but its a lot easier to touch in when required as you can just use the single stage paint to do it (technically it should be 2 stage as it shoud be colour + clear coat, but you can mix them together for small touch ups).

Ask the wheel place what colour system they use. When I did mine with My Alloys in Basingstoke (on the 350z), they sent me down the road to Brown Brothers where they get their paint from and to have a look at their swatches. I took them all outside and matched them up to the car to get the colour I wanted. Your wheel place should be able to do the same :thumbs:

The problem with the current wheels is they are a multi-stage type paint. This includes having a base colour then a less solid coat over them. Makes it have a lovely look - from dark grey to silver in some lights - but is a sod to match.

Best bet would be to go for a metallic anthracite colour. You get the flecks of metallic catching the light to give a good look, but its a lot easier to touch in when required as you can just use the single stage paint to do it (technically it should be 2 stage as it shoud be colour + clear coat, but you can mix them together for small touch ups).

As the wheel place what colour system they use. When I did mine with My Alloys in Basingstoke (on the 350z), they sent me down the road to Brown Brothers where they get their paint from and to have a look at their swatches. I took them all outside and matched them up to the car to get the colour I wanted. Your wheel place should be able to do the same :thumbs:

Thanks Chris - I agree. It is a lovely colour but I have only kerbed them twice and the hassle of getting it sorted is just too much - most people won't even touch them and it bugs me when I can notice a difference, however slight. I'll post up some pics once they're done.

TBH I dont blame wheel places for not touching them. They know instantly its multi-stage and theres no way they can ever work out what colours go into the combination of the 2 colour coats (possibly more) and clear coat to get the right blend. Its hard enough mixing a single metalic to give the right colour.

I would go with a dark metallic. Gives a nice finish and a lot easier to touch up :thumbs: