Another no sound with new head unit thread!

menz83

The title says it all, but I have scoured through the threads for the solution but still stuck. The head unit I have bought is a Pioneer F900BT and im wiring it to a 2003 GT Bose system.

I have bought all the correct cables and accessories as per the guide. I have attached the amp turn on wire to the correct connection but still no luck. It would appear that all the RCA cables and everything else are wired up correctly. I have even checked all connections to make sure there is power! The amp turns on fine and a CD plays but no sound at all.

It could a bit cold and the group of 3 of us that were hard at work gave up for the night. We reconnected the Bose unit but now that doesnt work too! Despite connecting everything up correctly, the original head unit doesnt turn on at all! Has anyone else had similar problems or know of a solution? We will be attempting this again tomorrow afternoon so any help would be appreciated.

Lastly, why doesnt 29-674 loom not contain dedicated sub rca's? Is it that there is no dedicated sub input and all LFE's are channelled to the sub by magic or is there some other trickery?

We didnt actually install the head unit into the cabin, just held it all loose to ensure everything would work before going any further. We obviously didnt get much further though! We did ground the aftermarket loom to the chassis and the unit powered up, cd played but no sound. I have followed the guide as per the link Buster provided but we didnt do any soldering, just a plug n' play type job to get the unit up and running. As I previously said, we definitely had the remote amp leads connected correctly.

As for reconnecting the original head unit, I thought there was no separate grounding required?

Any ideas on the sub question? Are all LFE's directed to the sub from the front and rear channels?

I will be directing my brother to the forums. Being a sparky, I thought it would be a problem!

Thanks again folks.

When running the F900BT through the Bose Amp, you won't be able to control the sub independently using the HU's subwoofer controls.

The OEM HU is grounded through the OEM loom, correct

So there is no direct sub input to the OEM loom/Bose amp? I was guessing it would be the same as my home theatre amp, when listening to 2 channel audio, frequencies below 100/120hz are directed to the sub since there is no dedicated sub channel.

So if theres no issues with grounding the factory head unit, why the hell wont it switch on?!

i had a JVC unit, which came with an extra grounding wire for which i had no idea, so spliced it to a known earth wire on the new HU loom, worked after that

Was that an issue with power or just sound? As I said, I do have power, just no sound!

Will be at this all afternoon tomorrow. Will report back how I get on but any further comments would be appreciated!

well my first bugger up was the supplier of the interface loom, who sent me the wrong loom, the non bose loom, i then got the right loom sent, followed the guides on here, but found i had an extra black wire with a hoop connector, which says to me its a grounding wire, so i spliced it to the earth wire identified on the HU wiring sheet, worked fine after that

if you have no sound but power on the unit, it very much seems like the SUB power on isnt working, as i am told the car's sound system needs the sub powered on first before any sound.

When i got the correct loom i wired the sub power on to the HU loom's power line, it worked :) maybe look up the JVC head unit installation guides for inspiration as it helped me and i was an aircraft avionics engineer!

well my first bugger up was the supplier of the interface loom, who sent me the wrong loom, the non bose loom, i then got the right loom sent, followed the guides on here, but found i had an extra black wire with a hoop connector, which says to me its a grounding wire, so i spliced it to the earth wire identified on the HU wiring sheet, worked fine after that

if you have no sound but power on the unit, it very much seems like the SUB power on isnt working, as i am told the car's sound system needs the sub powered on first before any sound.

When i got the correct loom i wired the sub power on to the HU loom's power line, it worked :) maybe look up the JVC head unit installation guides for inspiration as it helped me and i was an aircraft avionics engineer!

Thanks for your help mate. I definitely have the correct loom for Bose with steering wheel controls. The black wire with hoop connector is wired to the chassis so it is properly grounded, hence the reason it powers up.

For your last 2 paragraphs, do you mean amp power power rather than sub power? We connected the blue/white amp turn on wire to the blue/white remote start up wire on the HU. There is defiantly power going through it, but my feelings are the amp isnt being turned on. Would wiring this to a head unit power cable be sufficient?

I will look up all the guides once again!

Your wiring sounds correct, have you attached your original as a check? just in-case maybe a fuse has blown?

Lol, yeah we re-attached the original head unit only to find that it doesnt even turn on! We did check the fuses at the beginning when my brother electrocuted himself (some sparky!) and thinking he may have blown a fuse! Only the 12v cig socket fuse needed replaced which I was needing to do for a while. Does the amp have a separate fuse to the head unit as remember, the new head unit was powering up fine.

Hopefully we'll make some progress tomorrow!

OK, currently at attempt 2 and haven't actually managed to get any further, unit powering up but still no sound.

All fuses are OK, located the amp to make sure there is still voltage going to it and its fine. One thing we have done is just twist the 2 remote amp turn on leads together from the 2 looms. We haven't soldered them, just twisted together. Do you think that would make a difference?

it shouldnt make a difference, thats what i did as my soldering iron went kaput, all i can think is somewhere the amp isnt getting the power on signal, perhaps double and treble check you have the right wires spliced, it toom me 2-3 re-checks to identify the right ones as wires dont seem to be standardised across different HU's

We just got it working. I'm not technically minded but it had something to do with some lead not supplying power. Bit of a relief really as we were about to give up! Just applying busters hack now to bypass the need for a line booster and we'll be good to go.

Thanks to everyone for their help and sorry for being such a pain!

We just got it working. I'm not technically minded but it had something to do with some lead not supplying power. Bit of a relief really as we were about to give up! Just applying busters hack now to bypass the need for a line booster and we'll be good to go.

Thanks to everyone for their help and sorry for being such a pain!

how did the ''hack'' go..... :teeth: