Clutch Burn

Dicky

What is it with the oem clutch plate. I've read a few reports of racing starts followed by a clutch burning smell. I ran the car onto my ramps yesterday only to get the smell with what seemed like a relatively controlled ascent. It's happened to me a couple of times now at times when had I been driving a standard 4 door there wouldn't have been any smell?

I wouldn't be concerned at the occasional smell from the clutch, I get it after a hard launch and have done in many other cars too.

It's not a pleasant smell though!

Yeah I understand if your giving it some but driving up a a set of car ramps?

I've never experienced clutch stink on any of my previous cars from Austin A40 (your too young to know that one :lol: ) to my last 5 series B M. I wonder if it's damaging the clutch at all or wearing it heavily when the smells produced? :blush:

Getting a car up ramps can involve a bit of clutch slipping to keep the speed down, which heats it up, I've also had the smell when putting cars on ramps before.

I suppose it is wearing the clutch, but such a tiny amount, unless your putting it up on ramps every day, I still wouldn't worry.

The same happened to me this past weekend.

My drive is on an incline and always reverse up onto it. This weekend I was 'faffing' about on the drive (moving the car across so I could get my bike out the garage) and I was suddenly hit with the aforementioned clutch smell.

I thought I'd knackered the clutch, but a quick drive round the block re-assured me I hadn't.

This thread is perfectly timed and has shown me I'm not the only one to have experienced a smelly clutch.