Possible rookie mistake - exhausts

eftpotrm

So, my 350Z had the I understand common failure of the flange connecting mid and rear sections,and the tailpipe and box was sitting there in a largely cosmetic role. Main dealers were useful as a chocolate teapot, giving conflicting diagnoses on their own paperwork....

After umming and aahing for a bit and giving myself a headache from the noise, I booked into a local fast fit place. Exhaust was done this morning and, erm.... Well, it's certainly quieter.

Thing is, I'm not sure they've done a like for like replacement. Memory is inevitably dulled by the passing of time since the old exhaust started playing up, but I'd swear there was rather more exhaust noise than I'm getting now. Tickover is now almost silent with the windows closed, it feels like there's no exhaust noise at all, just engine - I'd say there used to be some noise from the exhaust. Plus there's a visible change, I've gone from shortish oval pipes to slightly longer circular.

Far as I knew, car was an utterly standard 56 plate GT before (bought used, so not 100% on spec). Is this just the new exhaust bedding in, or does it sound to others like I used to have an upgraded exhaust of some sort and the garage have replaced with a standard? If so, they're getting yelled at; there was no discussion concerning spec changes and if they've done that without my consent then they're undoing it.

Thoughts chaps?

No idea at all what part they fitted, beyond a new rear section for the exhaust. The box is black, the pipes are twin and silver...

Photos - don't think I've got any showing the tailpipes from before, never occurred to me I'd need them :blush: I can find pictures showing what it looks like now pretty easily... (Spitting image of the old Evo long-term test car pre-bodykit FWIW, blue metallic and Rays wheels) Not an ideal angle but the closest I can find online to how it looked before is this -

00013197.jpg

Note oval pipes, longer at the top than bottom.

Whereas now it looks like -

7195760666_d726936d91_z.jpg

Circular pipes, square ended.

Edit - apologies for the grim camera phone picture! HTC don't understand contrast :yuck:

So, theory is that it's supposed to be a like-for-like (that's just a bad cosmetic match) and either I'm imagining the noise thing or it'd been going gently for some time?

The copy exhaust you have fitted is supposed to emulate the original exhaust sound but it wont be an exact match, hence why you say it sounds quieter… :) Did they also replace the Mid Pipe too.

Just tail this time. I'm fairly sure it was sold to me as OEM when we first discussed this (nothing in writing of course) so there may well be a conversation to be had anyway, because if they're passing off copies as OEMs then there's a separate issue.

The oem exhaust is quiet anyway - I'd even say it's far too quiet and doesn't match the cars image at all. I also reckon that you'd be hard pushed to find a pattern exhaust quieter than the oem one.

The old welds might have been gradually failing hence you've had a more fruity exhaust note for awhile and thought that this was the norm?

I'd had the car for about 6 months before it got definitively louder by my estimation, then prob about 6 months since of noisy running :blush:. So, yes, I'm definitely more used to the louder setting and it could well have been going for a while, but in all honesty I don't remember this one sounding different to others I test-drove, hence my surprise when this new set seemed to be so much quieter.

Oh well. Seems I may just have to get used to it or cough up for a set of fancy sports pipes. Maybe they got the wrong idea from the set of ear defenders that were sitting in the passenger footwell? :lol: (Left over from a day trackside, TBH I prefer cans for such things to ringing in the ears that evening.)