Fitting braided lines/bleeding brakes.

andyh83

I could do with a few things clearing up before I do this at the weekend please!

To replace the lines, the correct sequence is to disconnect the current flexi line from the hardline, disconnect from caliper, connect braided line to caliper, then hardline, right?

Is it ok to replace all 4 lines and then bleed them in the correct order, or do I need to replace/bleed one line at a time? I figured the first method, as the second would just put air back into the system and screw me out of brake fluid?

Finally, I keep reading about air getting back into the system being really bad - however, air is gonna be put into it when you replace the lines....So is the 'bad' part simply that if you let air in you just need to bleed more & waste fluid?

Assuming I'm correct about the above queries, I'm pretty confident i know what I'm doing...as much as I can without having actually done it anyway! Cheers guys :)

I've searched and read about 100 threads on replacing pads/discs/lines & bleeding the brakes, and I'm happy with everything apart from the above few points. I may very well have missed them in reading about 500 pages on the subject, but I havent seen those points addressed directly.

Andy,

You can replace the lines in any sequence that you want mate, however try not to let the master cyl. run dry or you may create an air lock which may prove difficult to remove.

The bleed sequence is: N/S/R - O/S/F - O/S/R - N/S/F

And remember and do all 8 nipples :thumbs:

Alex :)

Thats gleaming cheers Alex! I think ive been overcomplicating the process in my head to be honest :blush: Id found the bleeding order from several of your past posts, couldnt for the life of me find anyone mentioning an order for replacing lines though, or if you had to disconnect one end first etc

We shall see in the morning anyway. ive sprayed penetraing fluid on just about every nut and bolt down there and will give it another spray first thing, so hopefully it will be plain sailing :boat:

Yeah I read about that last night - I want to try and get these done tomorrow though, as I wont get chance for another 2 weeks after that...and I'm a big kid with new toys right now :teeth:

I will check all the nipples before I touch the lines, but assuming they're all fine I'll hold off on the nipples for now. None the less, I'll try not to cry when it all goes wrong you're telling me 'We told you so!'

Yeah I got one earlier cheers! Took about 3 hours to find anywhere that had them mind, most places I asked people didnt have a clue what they were either, or what a flare wrench was - made me feel pretty good :grin:

Only took 9 hours too :blush: I think about 5 were on the first wheel. Ill have to take it to the garage tomorrow, I need the car on tuesday and dont want to risk messing it up again tomorrow night - pretty gutted about that, I want another crack at it.

Had a good day though, I learnt plenty and enjoyed myself, good way to spend a sunday!