GoPro Hero 2 test footage

andyvvc

Not bad...

Where was it mounted, and using what?

I've had my GoPro about 3 months now but not used it yet... but planning on trying it out tomorrow ahead of my track time at Japfest next week.

I bought one of these converters so i can mount it to a universal screw thread camera mount, and i've got a big suction mount that i can use on the interior/exterior.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monopod-Tripo ... 4ab63564af

I bought the GoPro Hero2 Motorsport. It came with the large suction cup and load of different extension arms that you can connect to it, plus the plastic 'cage' that the camera sits in.

I mounted it just under the left-side of the rear view mirror, and tested with windows closed/open etc. Anything below 55mph is great with the window open. Above that speed the wind noise becomes a bit too much (the last shot where i overtake the car is a good example of this - it gets pretty noisey)

Looking at the settings, there is actually a 720p @ 60 fps mode, so i will try that later today to see if the video looks smoother or not.

Cool, cheers. I'll look forward to the video.

I was going to go out and try mine today, but i washed the car this morning and now it's raining :thumbdown:

Im going to try mounting mine on the passager rear-quarter window.

I've filmed some 720 @ 60fps footage. It's noticeably smoother than the 1080p 30fps footage, so much so that i'll be using the 720p @ 60fps setting from now on.

With a little messing about in Movie Maker (creating a custom file save setting), I've managed to save a basic video in that which maintains the 60fps setting. Once it's uploaded to my Youtube account I'll add a link here so people can see the 1080p 30 v 720p 60 differences. To my eye, there isnt much detail lost. But the 60fps mode is a damn sight easier to watch than the 30fps stuff!

Here's the 720p footage - not certain how long it takes Youtube to offer a 720HD viewing option... but eben at 480p on Youtube it looks smoother than the 1080p stuff i uploaded.

The camera has a load of additional bits of kit that can be purchased - im sure an external mic could be one of them. Checkout their main website: http://gopro.com/products/?gclid=CLO866 ... tAodEDVn2g

Footage looks good. Can these be hooked up to an external mic? Been looking at them but as you have pointed out they suffer from wind noise.

The camera comes with two seperate covers; a vented one a a sealed waterproof one that is recommended for external use, and there is a 3.5mm jack for a external mic but you'll need a special case or no case to access it.

Yep - 720p @ 60 fps all the way for me from now on. It doesn't look too much grainier than 1080p when made full-screen. And TBH videos like this i usually watch windowed on a PC anyway, rarely on my TV.

For the little over £180 i paid for it, the Hero2 seems like a great little camera.

Im a bit annoyed at the power-on process tho. Hold the front button until it beeps...but each time i power it on it seems to beep an extra beep and set the mode to 'picture' instead of the 'movie' mode, grr! Annoying when its in its cradle and you have to release it to change the ruddy setting cos you cant see the front panel when its mounted on the car window lol :blush:

Yep - 720p @ 60 fps all the way for me from now on. It doesn't look too much grainier than 1080p when made full-screen. And TBH videos like this i usually watch windowed on a PC anyway, rarely on my TV.

For the little over £180 i paid for it, the Hero2 seems like a great little camera.

Im a bit annoyed at the power-on process tho. Hold the front button until it beeps...but each time i power it on it seems to beep an extra beep and set the mode to 'picture' instead of the 'movie' mode, grr! Annoying when its in its cradle and you have to release it to change the ruddy setting cos you cant see the front panel when its mounted on the car window lol :blush:

I read yesterday that it's just one quick press to turn it on, and a long press to turn it off.... maybe it's turning it on and cycling though the first setting for you?

Although i think mine is just the GoPro Hero HD, not the '2' so could be different.

I had a quick play tonight... camera mounted on the passenger window with a suction cup. Was quite late and going dark though so forgive the lighting.

Im very happy with the wide angle view... able to see out both the driver and passenger window in one shot B)

I will rotate it a couple of degrees to the right though next time so i get a more even view. The only down side is the passenger A-pillar is right where you want to be looking at the horizon. Maybe i'll try it out on the boot window tomorrow.

Front window under the rear view mirror works well for me. Ak350 also tried the rear window looking forward at drivers and chairs which alos looks pretty good. The suction cup works on the outside of the car too.... but after seeing footage of a guy with an R8 doing it like this and then the cup coming loose...i probabably won't risk it lol !

Front window under the rear view mirror works well for me. Ak350 also tried the rear window looking forward at drivers and chairs which alos looks pretty good. The suction cup works on the outside of the car too.... but after seeing footage of a guy with an R8 doing it like this and then the cup coming loose...i probabably won't risk it lol !

I was going to use it on the outside... i stuck it to my rear quarter panel and it was nice and firm... went in the house to get my car keys... came back and it had fallen off and was on my driveway...!! So... i wont be using it on the exterior :lol: