isolator switch

flickrod

In my old car i fitted one of those isolator switches like rally cars have with the big red handle on it. I wired it up in the engine bay. Just took the feed from the battery and joined onto it, then a heavy duty cable from the switch to the other terminal on the battery. In all fairness, it was actually easier just to disconnect the battery.

I would not bother fitting an isolator. Just disconnect the negative battery lead if disconnecting for long periods. Also you really need a battery cycler to keep the battery healthy during these periods. My car is kept off the road all winter and i have one connected to the battery to keep it healthy. And i dont disconnect the battery either, the charger comes with a plug/socket thats permanantley connected to the battery. :)

I would not bother fitting an isolator. Just disconnect the negative battery lead if disconnecting for long periods. Also you really need a battery cycler to keep the battery healthy during these periods. My car is kept off the road all winter and i have one connected to the battery to keep it healthy. And i dont disconnect the battery either, the charger comes with a plug/socket thats permanantley connected to the battery. :)

Definately the way to go :thumbs:

to isolate the battery, because i store the car for long periods and the battery goes flat unless i disconect it..thanks flickrod

Why not buy from Halfrauds a maintenance charger? They are about £15 and work very well. I had my car in the garage for eight weeks when the roads had loads of salt down. Car fired up first time. If you have to park on the street then perhaps take the battery out. Caravan places sell the isolation switches.

:)

Mike

to isolate the battery, because i store the car for long periods and the battery goes flat unless i disconect it..thanks flickrod

Why not buy from Halfrauds a maintenance charger? They are about £15 and work very well. I had my car in the garage for eight weeks when the roads had loads of salt down. Car fired up first time. If you have to park on the street then perhaps take the battery out. Caravan places sell the isolation switches.

:)

Mike

Thats what i use now, although i got 2 from LIDL which were on offer a few months back. I run one on my project car and one on my motorbike. Keeps battery topped up perfectly.

Thanks for the replys,re the maintenance charger, I have one of these ,as the car does very few miles it is constantly on trickle charge and the battery gave up in the end, I was advised to fit an isolator switch to stop the constant power drain,but need to get one that doesn't foul the battery cover,i am sure there is one that will fit, and just wondered if you boy's could advise which one.

Many thans flickrod

If you buy a decent conditioner there is no drain and no overcharging, it keeps it on a float charge, constantly monitoring the condition for maximum performance and life (unlike a 'trickle' charger). It won't make a battery last forever but it will last longer than disconnecting it with an occasional charge, and save messing around with it on and off the vehicle. It also allows the car to be locked and alarmed and can be left for extended periods without damage, but starts on the button first time.

As Beavis has indicated, once the lead is attached you don't even have to open the bonnet. Mine has a waterproof cap and sits just out of sight in the scuttle tray. Your disconnected battery will still go flat and require a full charge every now and then, and whilst it is better than letting it go flat connected to the vehicle, this will still have a detrimental affect on the battery. Depending on your situation, you may have issues with your insurance if the vehicle is not left locked/immobilised/alarmed properly, if it's sorned then of course that's up to you.

• 2 weeks later...