Synchromesh

Rish

Sorry for the post chaps but a quick search didn't come up with the answer I'm looking for.

One of the cars I'm considering has a crunching when being shifted into fifth though the clutch itself is intact. Ish.

How much to change/ fix one, including labour? I'm not looking for a precise number, a ballpark figure would be fine. Also, approximately how much for a new clutch and flywheel fitted?

Around 600 quid all in for a basic refurb/synchro replacement was the best quote I found. Then I decided to buy a new gearbox instead. Problem is the weak synchros are just an inherent design flaw so the new ones will wear in time, and the problem will just come back.

More discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=59120

DB

Edit: good question alex, I just sort of assumed it was an early DE gearbox because of the nature of the problem.

Around 600 quid all in for a basic refurb/synchro replacement was the best quote I found. Then I decided to buy a new gearbox instead. Problem is the weak synchros are just an inherent design flaw so the new ones will wear in time, and the problem will just come back.

More discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=59120

DB

Edit: good question alex, I just sort of assumed it was an early DE gearbox because of the nature of the problem.

Thanks Danny, I think I looked at that thread but wasn't sure of what it would cost fitted.

The 600 quid was for removal, refurb, and refitting of the original gearbox. The new gearbox itself was £550, and I haven't had it fitted yet because I want to get a new clutch to go in at the same time but i'm expecting about another £500-£600 for the labour costs. That's just guesswork though, I haven't got any quotes yet.

DB