Motorbike Breakers

geoff-r

^^ ebay, my mate dropped his CBR and found the bits he needed for a quarter of the price. Sometimes you just need to play the waiting game but you can set up a search to email you overtime someone lists something of interest.

^^ ebay, my mate dropped his CBR and found the bits he needed for a quarter of the price. Sometimes you just need to play the waiting game but you can set up a search to email you overtime someone lists something of interest.

Definately some bargains out there, but like flexib says you have to wait sometimes. I blew the gearbox up on my R1 the other year and the local garage wanted £1200 to strip the old engine / gearbox out and repair it. I kept an eye on ebay and after 6 months bought an entire very low mileage engine / gearbox for £400. Swapped them over one Sunday morning (about 4 hours work), and hey presto all working perfect. In fact the new engine / gearbox produced more power than the old one. To make things even better, I then sold the damaged engine / gearbox on ebay for £250 for spares, meaning the whole new engine / gearbox only cost me £150! :thumbs:

Definately some bargains out there, but like flexib says you have to wait sometimes. I blew the gearbox up on my R1 the other year and the local garage wanted £1200 to strip the old engine / gearbox out and repair it. I kept an eye on ebay and after 6 months bought an entire very low mileage engine / gearbox for £400. Swapped them over one Sunday morning (about 4 hours work), and hey presto all working perfect. In fact the new engine / gearbox produced more power than the old one. To make things even better, I then sold the damaged engine / gearbox on ebay for £250 for spares, meaning the whole new engine / gearbox only cost me £150! :thumbs:

That's totally sweet! :clap:

blew a gearbox on an R1 :scare: what the hell was you doing to it :teeth::teeth::teeth:

Its a common problem on the early R1s like mine. The 2nd gear selectors are made out of chocolate, and guess which gear most people use to wheelie them in? Yep. 2nd gear.

It was quite funny looking back at it now, but not at the time. Id just taken it for its MOT, and it passed first time (with no headlamps, no indicators, race bodywork, race exhaust and a few other bits), so i came out of the test centre and thought id crack a celebratory wheelie, so up it went in 2nd gear. There was an almighty bang and it sounded like a bag of spanners rattling around in a washing machine. :scare: In all fairness the bike had done about 40k miles at that point as ive had it since 2001 and id noticed it was jumping out of 2nd occasionally. What happens is that the selectors get bent and cause the 2nd gear to fall appart, not only that 2nd is on the same shaft as 5th, so instantly thats 2 gears at £250 each gone down the pan. There is a mod you can do with new stronger gears and cutting the corners off them to make them engage easier.

So after lots of swearing, I then had to push the bike back to the MOT centre and get them to trailer it home. Luckily some local hells angel heard the bang and ran out to see what had happened and gave me a hand pushing it back.

It was a right pain having to wait 6 months before another engine came along, but I couldnt grumble at the price! They are quite rare engines as apparently the early R1 engines are very popular with people who stick them in kit cars, as they were the last R1 engines to use carbs rather then injection, so less hassle.

With the zx6r bodywork, if no correct colour panels turn up, another option would be to buy and fit some race bodywork. I paid £150 for mine. Then use this until a correct colour panel turns up. I think it would cost a fortune to try and repaint one panel and get the correct stickers on it, and you dont want to be respraying an entire bike for the sake of one panel - as you know a few weeks later the correct colour panel will turn up...

EDIT: Also, depending upon how bad the scratched panels are, it might be easier to repair them. Ive done that quite a few times when i used to buy / repair / sell smashed up bikes. Filler to fill scratches, soldering iron to fix cracks and a hot air gun to bend any plastic back into place. :thumbs: