Changing to a UK licence

beagle

My girlfriend has 8 years on her EU licence but wants to move over to a UK license. Does anyone know if the 8 years driving experience would be passed over to the UK license? The reason I ask is it makes a massive difference to the insurance quote going from 8 years on a EU licence to less than 1 year on a UK licence. Thanks

You can only drive for 3 years in the UK on an EU license, so she will need to move over at some point. I think if you phone insurers rather than using their online systems, you may be able to better explain the situation and they may be able to take into account previous driving experience on an EU license.

You have two options which both end up with a similar outcome: exchange the EU license for a UK one (EU one is surrendered) or go do a driving test and get a UK one in addition to the EU one. I did the second and have two licenses which can come in handy in certain cases when driving abroad.