Spares or repairs

varley16

I have been looking into getting spares or repair vehicle, fixing them and then selling them on. I am an ex tech of jaguar ford and Honda, I now have all my tools at home and space to do it.

Anyone have experience doing this and making it work?

Any favourite faults to go for?

Any places in stoke on Trent to get stock from?

Thanks for any help

Depends what you want to get in to mate, there are places like copart.co.uk that sell insurance jobs. I know a mate gets a few cars from there as they have locations all over the country. I can't really comment on doing it as a living or job on the side though, good luck :thumbs:

I think you`d be very lucky to make this work. I used to buy, repair and sell cars and motorbikes for a time so have experience of it. Initially you could make good money out of it as the vehicles were pretty cheap. But then every man & his dog jumped on the band wagon, so the vehicles shot up in price.

Last time I looked, if the car was worth £5k normally, and you saw a smashed up one needing £2k of work then you`d end up having to pay £3k for it. So it completely defeated the object. Also, 99% of cars needed bodywork, as nearly always spares / repair means its had a smash. Seldom do newer cars get sold for spare / repair unless its needs a new engine or something.

Unless of course you start getting to the very bottom end of the market with MOT failures. Theres plenty of these about, usually under £500. These days the scrap man will give you £100 for any old heap (was £30 a few years back, but scraps gone up in price), so you could buy a car for around that price, see if you can repair it, if you cant you sell it on and get your money back.

Id look in local free papers or even on ebay - no end on there. Thats where ive both bought & sold spares / repair cars.

Good luck.