Clicking Noise from rear... drive shafts?

tc350z

Hi all,

After purchasing my 54plate Zed a couple of weeks ago I have heard the notorious clicking noise coming from the rear as I drive/turn at slow speeds. The previous owner had said the CV joints may need replaced, so I took my car to a local Nissan dealer and told them what I thought need fixed but they said its not CV joints but the drive shafts needed greased? and said that its now known by the nissan dealers of this problem. Anyways I left the car for them to repair and a few hours later I got the call to pick up my car, all is well and the noise is gone!

this is their report:

Checked Clicking noise from drive shafts.

Carried out repair as per bulletin, removed rear drive shafts, cleaned up & greased mating face.

Retorqued all removed components to spec,

Carried out road test & found all ok.

hope this will help folk,

Tony

Yep mate thats the cheapo fix, people say it will come back. Mine were regreased 2 years ago and have been fine since,.

Plenty of stuff on here about it if you do a quick search.

Theres other permanent fixes :thumbs:

I honestly had no idea it’s a cheap/temporary fix, and to be fair I only read the “CV joints†related clicking noise on the form but now I know, I guess you can’t trust the dealers when they say “it’s now known†(implying that its fairly recent discovery) :bangin: and thats me thinking I was on to something and share this experiance with folk :blush:

Well im problem free for now and hopefully forever :drive1

yeah i wouldnt worry about it mate, somebody else put up their fix also so it saves buying a new cv joint.

In the worst instance zmanalex supplies the new parts at a fraction of the dealer costs :thumbs:

Yep don't worry you should be fine. It seems that the cv joints were initially blamed as the clicking seemed to suggest this, but actually it is the mating face. Many in the USA have done just what your dealer has done and have had 2+ years without the problem returning.

I have actually read quite a few posts where drive shafts have just been loosened and retightened as this has fixed the problem.

It would seem that when cv joins have been replaced, it is just the removal and refitting that is curing the clicking rather than the cv joints themselves being faulty. The click certainly seems now to be traced to the 'mating' surface as you put it.