Fuel Leak

Rscut

About 6 weeks ago i posted that the baffle had gone in my fuel tank and therefore a new fuel tank was needed. So fuel tank was fitted and off i went. Went to fill the car up and there was a fuel leak from the bottom of the car when i was filling up but stopped when i left the petrol station. I took the car back to the guy who fitted the fuel tank and he couldn't see anything wrong, but changed all the pipes over that he had from a 350 he was breaking.

So problem solved.........Well no! Went to the petrol station again today, filled up and again there was a leak.

So my question is, what could it be? Is there different fuel tanks dependent on the year or model? Starting to do my head in! :rant::angry:

May be an issue with the overflow/breather system.

Or may be one of the 2 seals at the top of the tank where the pump/sender units are fitted.

These will only leak when the tank is full.

These seals must never be reused and new seals must be fitted every time that they are disturbed.

Access is from behind the seats so no need to drop the tank again. ;)

I have them in stock if required :thumbs:

Alex :)

Or may be one of the 2 seals at the top of the tank where the pump/sender units are fitted.

These seals must never be reused and new seals must be fitted every time that they are disturbed.

I only put 40 quid in so haven't filled the car right up. Its literally just when i fuel the car. As soon as i drive off there is no fuel leak?

I only put 40 quid in so haven't filled the car right up. Its literally just when i fuel the car. As soon as i drive off there is no fuel leak?

Sounds like a leak on the filler pipe then.

Fuel leaks are dangerous especially around the tank area which is very close to the rear exhaust box.

I would get this looked at immediately by the guy that fitted all this for you as it is his and your responsibility.

I also would not run the car until this issue is sorted.

This sounds scary :scare:

Agree with Alex though, if its only when you fill up and doesnt matter how much you fill up then it must be a seal around the filler area. Get the guy to check again, take a can of petrol with you so you can reproduce it there and then (when the car is cooled down!)

This sounds scary :scare:

Agree with Alex though, if its only when you fill up and doesnt matter how much you fill up then it must be a seal around the filler area. Get the guy to check again, take a can of petrol with you so you can reproduce it there and then (when the car is cooled down!)

When it first happened I took it back to him and he put some fuel in and it was fine,but obviously it didn't create the same pressure as a station pump. Spoke to him today and he was baffled. He said he would come to station with me and have a good look when I'm filling up!