Speakers or head unit?

Mrdeli

You seemed to miss the non bose part so I was just reiterating what I had said. You could have awesome speakers but if the amp driving them is pants there always goin to struggle to sound their best.

And you can have an awesome HU driving pants speakers and it will sound just as bad, going round in circles here... :wacko:

I reckon the OP should probably change both, can't really see either option making a huge amount of difference on their own really :shrug:

I would still change the speakers first as they are almost certainly the weakest link in the chain but at least changing the HU will give more functionality and better looks if nothing else B)

Hi guys, thanks for all the advice.

I remembered that I have some infinity 62.5 kappa component speakers in the loft

These are 56mm deep.

Will these fit ok?

Are they ok for use with the standard head unit (although I might replace this too soon)

Thanks again for all the help. Mark.

6.5 is perfect, although there is no guarantee the fixings will be in the same place, as I found out when I tried to swap out the underpowered Bose sub for a superior 10 inch 600w unit I had hidden away. The holes weren't even close!

Ok, so I fitted the drivers door speaker today.

The install went brilliantly - ill post up picks tomorrow - but basically I gutted the old speaker and then attached the new speaker to it for mounting.

The sound unfortunately is only moderately better say 15%

On that basis, I'll probably end up buying a new head unit so I can take advantage of proper iPod control etc.

I'll report back when the second speaker goes in - maybe when they are both in operation things may sound better.

Thanks for all help so far and the guides on here for door removal where very helpful.

Cheers mark.

The source is always the biggest limiting factor. Ipod,USB,AUX is another reason i always start with the headunit. Its the same with home audio.

I use to have 2 12" Pioneer subs, they sounded awesome as i was running them of a PG Amp. Running the same subs of a basic Kenwood amp they sounded pants.

Ok, so I fitted the drivers door speaker today.

The install went brilliantly - ill post up picks tomorrow - but basically I gutted the old speaker and then attached the new speaker to it for mounting.

The sound unfortunately is only moderately better say 15%

On that basis, I'll probably end up buying a new head unit so I can take advantage of proper iPod control etc.

I'll report back when the second speaker goes in - maybe when they are both in operation things may sound better.

Thanks for all help so far and the guides on here for door removal where very helpful.

Cheers mark.

Hope it sounds a little better, at least it was a no cost option :thumbs:

Plenty of advice on HU's on here too

So following other guides - this is how i fitted the new speakers:

Removed original speakers (as per guides on here)

Ripped the original speakers from their mounting (thus scrapping them in effect)

Removed rear plastic supports from the original speaker mount which just left the plastic speaker spacer

Fitted the new speaker to the spacer (this was done with a silicone bed which acts as a bonding agent and to surpress vibration) and 4 self tapping screws

Speakers then just fit back in the door perfectly. My speakers can with crossovers. I just hot glue gunned these ontop of the speaker spacer and door panel. It ended up a very secure and very straighforward job.

2 hours for both speakers from start to finish.

Hope this may help someone. regards mark

I've yet to try the stereo since installing the sceond speaker, but i wasn't too pleased with my initial test after replacing the first one. It looks like a new head unit is called for (whether just a head unit would have done the job,without replacing the speakers I will never know - maybe someone else can answer that one.

The two units I am looking at are as follows: Any comments???

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/jvc-kw-xr811.html

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/alp-cde ... 235bt.html

Thanks all