Brake upgrades

docwra

Just soemonthing I noticed on the "best mods for £1500" thread, everyone seems to be recommmending brake upgrades straight off the bat. Im surprised by this as the standard Brembos (not driven non-bremobos) are pretty good and for me there are obvious things to do before replacing a pretty decent bit of kit - make it sound and handle like a proper car for a start :thumbs:

I know very good brakes make a lot of difference on track but on the road less so, just wondered why people were listing them off as a "must have" type of thing :shrug:

Authentic Brembo discs are more expensive than DBAs though aren't they? The OP said they needed changing anyway so I guess DBAs are a good place to go (although I went Black Diamond :thumbs: )

The Brembo pads, well the basic ones, are cheap circa £40 and not as good as other brands.

the standard brakes (by which i mean the brembos) get hot easily, cool slowly and fade pretty badly. I noticed my stock brakes starting to feel hot just on enthusiastic B-road driving. I now have DBAs all round and it really is a noticable difference. I did the bedding in procedure on sunday night (monday morning really) and even after 10 rapid repetitions of 70mph to 10mph threshold braking you could tell they'd warmed up but were still stopping just as well. I would have no confidence in saying the stock brakes would perform the same.

DB