A few questions on interior trim removal.....

AFTERSHOX

Evening all ! Not really an I.C.E thread...... but......

I'm fitting a new HU (Kenwood) and a couple of things are perplexing me..with the dash interior lower panel / a pillar trim removal - hopefully you guys can help !

No flaming please ! :p YES, I used the search button...... a lot ! ..and I've read and re-read the Service Manuals.

2006 MY model - OEM Birdview Satnav (I already have the centre console removed, and modified waiting to go back in);

1) Is it safe to remove the drivers side door rubber *(welt) and A-Pillar cover to run a mic for the bluetooth to the HU?

- Is it OK to do this with the battery still connected, or would it be safer to do it with the battery off? I noticed the driver side curtain airbag disappearing off into the roof liner.... and didn't want to chance anything !

2) What is the removal process for the passenger side lower dash panel? Mine has the coin drawer / cigar lighter....... in the panel. I had a quick look underneath - and the dash was flapping around (I think there should be 2 x screws / bolts fixing that panel?) ..they were missing.... Any other bolts / screws or clips to remove - or can I just pull it towards myself horizontally as per the SM.

*hoping to hide all of the ICT Loom / ISO loom back there !* hence the questions.

3) Same question for the drivers side (lower dash panel)- but for the bonnet pull, fuel flap release, and switch bank for headlamp washers etc. *remove panel to cable bash the bluetooth mic lead*

Links are good (with photos even better).

Cheers in advance.

Mark

1) Yes & no need to disconnect battery

2) couple of screws & you need to remove the cup holder (flat blade screw driver to pop it out) before it comes out - I think theres another screw behind the cup holder

3) couple of screws & a bit of force

Be very very careful in the cold weather as the trim will be liable to break more easily :surrender: I have a headlining to trim and remove but I am going to wait until the warmer weather until I tackle it... :cold:

Top tip given me by someone in the trade.... if you HAVE to remove trim in very cold weather run thr car with the heaters on full blast for a bit so everything warms up, obvious I know but it's the simple things....

1) Yes & no need to disconnect battery

2) couple of screws & you need to remove the cup holder (flat blade screw driver to pop it out) before it comes out - I think theres another screw behind the cup holder

3) couple of screws & a bit of force

Ian - Thanks for the reply.

Regarding number 2) - The 2006 Model has a "Business Card Holder / Coin Tray" where earlier Z's would have a cup holder.... so not quite the same. The service manuals I have (for 2006 MY, 2006.5 and 2007 all have no mention of the "Card Holder", but I have seen an extract from a service manual which shows it.... now I can't find it. There is also a cigar lighter / 12V ACC socket directly beneath that which I assume also has to be removed / disconnected?

Regarding number 3) Does the bonnet release mechanism have to be removed from the panel first before the thing will come away?

Be very very careful in the cold weather as the trim will be liable to break more easily...

if you HAVE to remove trim in very cold weather run thr car with the heaters on full blast for a bit

Nice TIP Dave :#1: - problem is........... I have my heater controls disconnected at the moment (centre console is still out!), so have no control whatsover over the temperature in the car... I could re-connect as a temp measure.... but it's getting a bit stupid - having to re-connect bits to perform another task (like removing trim!)...... it's a bit like the "Magic Windows" trick when you are disconnecting the battery NEGATIVE....... roll-down windows, remove NEG, close door.... re-connect NEG, shut door, rolldown window, rollup window - dance.............................. :yahoo:

Thanks Ian !

I've just grabbed another set of the SM's from *another forum* - and look what I found under IP.PDF

post-8535-13501191857_thumb.jpg

The "Instrument Panel" section [iP manual] is 2006 350z - Revision : 2005 August? Crazy... or what? I have six versions now... most of them very similar.. and this was the only one to feature the elusive "card holder"...... ;)

Still no mention of the ACC socket.......... though.... :dry:

I'll do a bit more work on Weds and will be posting pics as part of my ICE install thread....

Cheers... if anybody else wants to 'chime in' - feel free.........