Finally DAB

spursmaddave

Now before I start I know the audiophiles amongst you will say 'FM is better' etc etc but.....

I absolutely LOVE Planet Rock :band:

I bought a Pure Highway with the intention of fitting it in the Zed and hiding it away somewhere, originally in my Cubby (which is now no more) and then under a seat, but anyway that is now in my Leon :teeth:

After a bit of research I went for an add-on box from Dabonwheels which requires an AV input as it is run from the display on your HU.

All fitted this morning, just need to decide on aerial options now, I have a little magnetic aerial which seems to work ok in the boot of the Zed and could be run out of the boot onto the roof for long journeys :thumbs:

The interface screen isn't great :thumbdown: but I expected that really as it needs to work on pretty much all HU's and display screens so has to be basic...

Anyway it works a treat so now I can drive my Zed and listen to Planet Rock :thumbdown::band:

article-0-02d65337000005dc-37_468x286.jpg

For anyone that is interested here is the unit & what it looks like on the screen

f0f554f3.jpg?t=1328877655

17e1f9b7.jpg?t=1328877659

Awesome ! :thumbs:

You've been doing the centre console 'hokey cokey' again then? :lol:

DAB rocks !

Hokey cokey :rant:

Ok currently behind my centre console -

A JVC avx840 + loom + steering control

RCA wiring to my JL Amp

RCA wiring to my Pioneer Sub

Wiring to my rear view camera

DAB unit + RCA wiring + power wiring

DAB aerial wiring + DAB remote wiring

Navman Panoramic + power wiring

3" speaker for navman + wiring

Navman traffic unit + wiring

On/Off button wiring to navman

iPod wiring to centre cubby (RCA & USB)

Sub remote wiring to centre cubby

And when I get round to fixing the soldering on my cubby motor then the wiring for that will be going back in to the switch between my heated seat switches

As you can imagine, space is somewhat limited behind my centre console :surrender:

A bit like Mr Creosote... "I'm FULL!"

17656.gif

What have you done about the AV Leads ( I.e only one socket ) or do you not use a KS-U30 cable in there for an ipod ?

I ended up buying a splitter to stash somewere and give me 3 av in's

I have an iPod cable so the iPod uses the USB but the DAB unit has an RCA pass-thru for anyone that didn't have that and needed the RCA's :thumbs:

Can u control it through the HU? Or does it have a remote control?

I bought a similar unit that is a DVB-TV its great and does play proper tv.

Only £35 from hong kong :surrender:

Yeah I had one of those, in fact im selling it on eBay right now :lol:

It has a little remote to change channel but as it is through the HU the volume is done via the unit or steering wheel :thumbs:

It will mostly just be set on Planet Rock so won't need the remote really, but it's there if I need something a bit more calming :lol:

Why did you get rid of the tv unit? Reception poor?

never fitted it, tried it out but I really wanted dab as you cant get many digital radio stations on a dvb which is just stupid!!! I tried the tv unit on my telky and it worked fine but I have never even played a video in the car let alone watch tv... and my missus would only want to watch Jeremy Kyle which would result in the unit laying on the M25 :lol:

For lots of reasons I drove a brand new Fiesta home from Wigan yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to find DAB on the radio, tuned to Planet Rock and experienced no drop out or burbling all the way back to Surrey :thumbs: Have to say I was very impressed :)

For lots of reasons I drove a brand new Fiesta home from Wigan yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to find DAB on the radio, tuned to Planet Rock and experienced no drop out or burbling all the way back to Surrey :thumbs: Have to say I was very impressed :)

Not sure I can get a Fiesta behind my cubby, but I am willing to give ut a try :thumbs: