Road Trip 2012

Ruddles

Ello, a few freinds and myself are planning a european road trip come August this year to the 'Ring' if it's available ofc! :surrender:

We'll be spending a few days on this road trip, anywhere upto 5 i would imagine.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on places worth a visit and or a stay over?

We've got Neuschwanstein Castle on the list already (at least I think it's that one). The mountain passes look pretty fantastic roads to drive on too! :thumbs:

I expect to hear from you Wasso & Bennett! :lol:

Evening B)

Depends on duration, but to be fair the ring is accessible in 4-5 hours traffic dependant. So unless you fancy a few more extra miles I can't really recommend any locations.

The place Bennett stays at the Ring is a well sorted place and very popular.

I'm hoping to setup a trip in August, which was suggested by Mega, which is to do a huge drive over to the Transfagarason Highway in Romania. The good thing is I can stop off at my dads place in Hungary on the way back.

Just one tip, the price of super unleaded is around 1.76 euro a litre so factor those prices into your budget :thumbs:

If you are going to southern Germany, or what is in fact Bavaria, they are not Germans ! (bit like the welsh) Then you need to take the cable car up the Nebelhorn to the Gasthaus at the top, Strudel and custard....

Then there is Brietachklamm. (phonetic spelling) which is like cheddar Gorge on acid. not far from the Nebel horn, the roads around there are amazing including the run down from Oberjoch which has more bends than a bendy thing, early morning for that is best as overtaking is a death wish.

Then if you are going to do it right without lots of boring autobahn on the way, you could go Calais- Eindhoven- Wankum (yes really) Essen Dortmund up to soest. (4 hour run) Then turn off into westphalia and take in the Mohne Dam, followed by the Eder and Sorpe, then its south for about 5 hours to Bavaria.

Munich is worth a visit, outside is Dachau, the first concentration camp. not a jolly place but everyone should go and see it.

The Village of **** is a must stop for pics... I spent 9 years stationed in the Army in Germany. Best laugh and the greatest education a 17 year old could have.

Im planning to do the Dams Raid in june / july on my bike with some old army buddies but I have it in mind as a recce for a bigger 350 mounted expedition in 2013 the 70th year of the Dambusters raid.

Its a great country and if you havent been a few other tips.

1 learn basic phrases and the Germans will speak english almost straight away.

2 DO NOT ARGUE WITH COPS. they have guns.

3 The Autobahn is not speed limit free. if you get nicked they can take your car !

4 More so in Belgium and Holland a 300 quid roadside fine isnt uncommon.

5 Local Beer is always best, Wietzen (wheat) beer will get you plastered and no hangover.

6 The Scnell imbiss is a great way to eat cheaply and well. beats the crap out of mcDonalds. eating out neednt be expensive.

7 Buy rolls and cakes from the bakeries that are in every village almost. fresh and brilliant.

8 Make sure you have good insurance cover and breakdown cover that WILL get you and your car home. If you wrap it round a tree it can get very very expensive. This includes medical cover no NHS !

9. Watch out for Porsches and Mercs when in the outside lane, they will flash their lights and EXPECT YOU to get out of the way. They will sustain very high speeds even if it seems that they dont know what they are at in the bends. Eyes in the back of your head.

10. When it rains, standing water can be lethal. Many of the older autobahns have little or no camber. Wrecked my MK 1 Capri like that.

11. Have fun. after all we did win. Twice. Well including 66 Three times....

Nobby.

Been on a few trips all over Europe and there's not much to add to the above. Make sure you've got all your triangles, bulbs and whatnot in the car. All rumours of "mental Italian driving", "impossible high altitude passes", "undrivable Eastern European roads" and the like are completely untrue. Decide where you'd like to see, figure out the optimal route and just enjoy yourself :)

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

Latest plan is to, do Belguim

Google maps estimated time is 1day 13hrs driving, so we're undecided whether to take a week or week and a half-2 weeks for this trip.

Basically whilst we're in Europe, make the most of it! :thumbs:

I went on a reverse version of exctly what you just wrote up there in December ;) You'll have a ball. If plans permit, check out some of rural Luxembourg - some proper mint roads through the hills.