Camshaft Position Sensor...

mike350

Hi!

Im new to this forum :wave:

Was wondering if anyone could help or offer advice before i spend any more money...

Here's the problem...

I took a left turn after pulling away from some lights a couple of weeks back and my 350 cut out on power for a few seconds then went back to normal.I didn't think much of it til i turned my car on the next day and after struggling to start the engine light,ESP OFF light and traction control light came on.

I took it to a garage where they told me the Bank 1 Cam Position Sensor was the problem,they then fitted a new one on monday but the lights are still on and the car is still in 'limp mode' :thumbdown: Basically they said there is nothing else they can do after still charging me full whack even tho they didnt fix it :angry:

I took the car to Nissan today and they told me it was the Bank 1 Cam Position Sensor,which is exactly what i told them i had changed earlier this week.They said i need to book it in to get it changed again :thumbdown: and then take it from there...

Basically i was wondering if it could be something else,wiring,or just re-setting the ECU that could fix the problem and save me from paying twice!

I only got my 350 in November and as much as i love it,this whole situation is driving me mad :wacko:

Any help would be appreciated

cheers,

mike :teeth:

you could try a ECU reset (found in guides), it will clear the fault but it will also clear it from the error log. If the problem comes back then return back to garage and demand them to sort the issue out that they have already claimed to of fixed free of charge. Was it a Nissan garage that originally carried out the repair?

:welcome:

Thanks,ill give that a go.

It was a local garage i took it to the first time as my closest Nissan garage is about 20miles away and i wasnt sure i should be driving the car with the warning lights on so didnt want to risk the trip.

Will keep u posted how it goes,cheers :)

No luck with re-setting the ECU using the 'peddle dance' method or by disconnecting the battery,the lights are still on.Not sure if im doing it wrong :shrug: Any other suggestions would be brilliant :)

timing is critical when using the pedal method

• 2 months later...

I also recently had this problem with similar fault codes...........turned out to be a faulty coil pack :wacko: Took me days to find this rascal, took a few seconds to start, traction and slip lights on, exactly like a crank sensor!!

I had several codes appear all relating to sensors, when we finally traced the fault to an iffy coilpack I cleared the faults and none came back. It ran ok at speed but poorly at idle and was underpowered.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! sorry for the late reply,i've had no access to the internet recently!

It turns out it was the Bank 1 Cam Position Sensor.

For some reason the independent garage i took my car to originally didn't solve the problem.

A quick trip to the local Nissan dealership to have the sensor changed again and the problem was solved :teeth:

I'll be going to Nissan straight away if i have any other problems as they obviously know what they were looking at.

I'm not sure if this helps......good luck solving your problem :)

• 2 months later...

I never diagnosed a code.. I was too newbie. But I remember when Nissan diagnosed it it came up with Camshaft position sensor.

Car would be fine, then all of a sudden, revs go mad and then it would cut out. Left it for a while and it started and drove fine. After a while driving the same thing happened.

Nissan spent ££££'s (had only just bought it so NO WAY I was paying!) replacing pretty much every sensor on the car. They diagnosed it as the camshaft position sensor again, repaired it, gave it back to me and I had the problem again.

EVENTUALLY, many weeks and many thousands of their pounds later, it was traced to a dodgy flywheel! Their way of explaining it was that the flywheel, once the engine was warm, would start spinning erratically (off centre.. a bit like a hub cap about to fall off) and that caused all the problems, and everything else they replaced was pretty superfluous!

Might be worth checking for anyone who has a similar problem!

• 1 month later...