steering wheel

john smith

the guy i bought the car of has fiited a very nice double din kenwood head unit/dvd/sat nav/ ipod player , but it now is no longer controllable vai the factory steering wheel.

not a problem the units easy enough to use.

so , i am thinking about swapping a steering wheel for something a bit flasher/ fancier.

i have bought a pair of leather seats as the stock ones are good but they dont really look the part in a soft top. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320837832885? ... 918wt_1401

these are the seats,

so i am looking for good modern style steering wheel,

any ideas?

and are they a biatch to swap ?

cheers

Hate to p1ss in your cornflakes mate, but the new MOT regs make it illegal to remove or de-activate a factory fitted airbag (like the one in the steering wheel). You might get away with it if you have a friendly MOT tester, but you'd still be at risk if a cop noticed it, and you can bet your arse that your insurance company would have a field day with any claim you might have to make on your 'unroadworthy' vehicle. Personally I think choices about your personal safety should be up to you, but the EU says otherwise :rant:

DB

Hate to p1ss in your cornflakes mate, but the new MOT regs make it illegal to remove or de-activate a factory fitted airbag (like the one in the steering wheel). You might get away with it if you have a friendly MOT tester, but you'd still be at risk if a cop noticed it, and you can bet your arse that your insurance company would have a field day with any claim you might have to make on your 'unroadworthy' vehicle. Personally I think choices about your personal safety should be up to you, but the EU says otherwise :rant:

DB

Or you could switch it at MOT time :scare: Its a 10 minute job :p

DB

Yep, you could indeed, but I'd be more concerned about the insurance aspect. We all know that they'll use absolutely anything to get out of paying up and having an 'illegal mod' would be like birthday and christmas for an assessor. Say (god forbid) you hit a pedestrian and it's your fault, if the insurance voids your policy you could be liable for absolutely rediculous damages and legal fees. On the other hand you could swap it over at MOT time, never get pulled over and never have to make an insurance claim and it could all be fine. I just wanted to check that the OP knew that an aftermarket wheel was technically illegal etc.

I'm not personally saying don't do it as i think you should be able to do whatever you like to your car as long as it only affects you, but i am saying that there may be consequences.

DB

DB

Yep, you could indeed, but I'd be more concerned about the insurance aspect. We all know that they'll use absolutely anything to get out of paying up and having an 'illegal mod' would be like birthday and christmas for an assessor. Say (god forbid) you hit a pedestrian and it's your fault, if the insurance voids your policy you could be liable for absolutely rediculous damages and legal fees. On the other hand you could swap it over at MOT time, never get pulled over and never have to make an insurance claim and it could all be fine. I just wanted to check that the OP knew that an aftermarket wheel was technically illegal etc.

I'm not personally saying don't do it as i think you should be able to do whatever you like to your car as long as it only affects you, but i am saying that there may be consequences.

DB

By the letter of the law, pretty much every mod is illegal ;)

I agree that aslong as the car is roadworthy then there should be nothing illegal about modifying :thumbdown: IMO its only a matter of time until every part fitted will need EU approval & then we are all screwed :(

But a lot of MoT fails are on the road passes, generally, if fitting an aftermarket steering wheel you won't get an MoT pass, you will probably get away with it on the road but you need that certificate!

Hence my comment about just swapping it at MOT time, the same as a lot of people do for decats ;)

i understand the caution, but i will take a risk,

it may mean one day i am breaking into a police salvage pound to swap a steering wheel in the dead of night ,,,,,,,,,,,,,AGAIN

but , hey ho thats the risk ;)

ive just ordered a momo Quark with boss kit. :teeth: