Express Insurance

geoff-r

Has anyone ever used Express Insurance? I can only describe them as the biggest bunch of imbeciles I have ever come across and I shall explain.

I purchased a policy on the 28th Jan for my motorbike, all good they were the best quote through thebikeinsurer.co.uk so I followed through on the quote and purchased the policy. I took the bike out straight away after a phone conversation confirming I was insured and payment had been taken, they said they would send through an email shortly to confirm the policy. A few days passed and an email popped up confirming my insurance from the agreed date and time, I was happy, even if the email was a little delayed.

I still had a slight concern though that my bike hadn't shown up on the motor insurance database. I called them up to find out when it would appear on there and they assured me it usually takes a few days so I just asked them to send through a copy of the insurance cover note so I could get the bike taxed, they obliged and emailed it through. One look at the document and I realised the idiots had got the registration incorrect, despite the woman confirming the registration to me on the phone, back on the phone I went. They said it was no problem to change the registration just a £50 admin fee. I took a deep breath and told them I wasn't paying for someone else's mistake but the girl was insistent that the underwriters charge them and I would have to pay. Long story short I got my point across and they accepted the fault and changed it and sent me through a new pdf of the insurance document.

After that I thought my problems were over and it would be plain sailing, I was wrong. As part of the insurance they requested a copy of my licence (both parts) which was fine, I scanned and emailed a pdf over to them of both parts. Today I had an email back demanding £175 due to the date of my licence not matching the date I passed my licence on insurance documents. I was a little confused so emailed back stating I would look at my documents and be in contact because I was not happy to pay the £175. I checked my documents and sure enough the date the person I took the policy out with has put on the documents is '28/01/2011', exactly 1 year after the date I took the policy out despite telling them I passed my test a little over a month ago (at the time) on 16th December 2011. So I've called them and told them to listen very carefully to the phone conversation of when I took my policy out. Just to be sure I wasn't losing the plot I went back to thebikeinsurer.co.uk and dug up my original quote and sure enough I put my pass date as December 2011.

Words literally fail me, the insurance industry is a complete mess, the premiums go up, the service gets worse and worse. They need a radical overhaul of the whole industry. I am massively concerned should I ever need to make a claim with Express Insurance I doubt they have the intelligence to process that.

Good grief sorry to hear that mate. I have to say whenever I deal with sales people over the phone or the like when they actually do get it right I almost feel like hugging them and telling them what a great job they are doing - even though its a very simple task and they are just doing what they should be doing but the general level of service is so bad it just makes them look amazing when they do get it right!

I know it's a very simple job and I feel the same when they get it right I'm really happy with them.

I know people have a go about the call centres based in India but I'll be honest I've NEVER had a single problem with a policy I've altered/taken out with someone based in an Indian call centre they are always spot on. It's another story when you decide to take a policy out with someone based in a British call centre on a Saturday morning when they've been on the lash the night before.

Update for anyone that cares.

The insurer listened to the original sales call. As I was in work at the time they left a message stating that I told them I passed my test a month prior to taking out the policy, yet I wasn't asked for a specific date so they said I was liable to pay the additional premium. So I called back and literally spent half an hour trying to get through to some idiot in customer services who was thick as two short planks. He finally accepted it was their fault and said he would speak to the sales guys to sort the policy out. I'm not an aggressive person and I try to remain well mannered on the phone as I understand the mistake wasn't exactly the fault of the person I was speaking to at that moment in time but I expect them to understand basic mistakes made by their sales team.

Anyway I got a call back from some guy in sales saying sorry for the balls up and that they would cancel the policy and re-start it due to the costs they would incur from the underwriters. I thought 'fair enough', he explained no additional premium would be taken, we confirmed the two pieces of data they consistently got wrong, the registration of my bike and the date I passed my test. I hung up the phone feeling quite glad I'd finally got the situation sorted.

Today the new policy documents hit my doorstep and low and behold we have a different policy premium, nearly £100 more, a different registration and another made up date of when I passed my motorbike test. I couldn't quite believe my eyes. The funniest part (if you can call it that) is that they have copies of my driving licence so they can reference the dates, they corrected my registration on the previous documents and I haven't supplied any further card details for the payment they propose to take and if they do take it I will swiftly lose the good manners I have kept throughout this situation.

I called their customer service department to find out about the errors on my policy and the woman on the phone couldn't have cared less, she took the correct details and offered no answers about the new premium. Checked my bank to see if anything extra had been taken - it hadn't. So I called back, hoping to get through to someone else, and I got through to the same woman who quickly dismissed me when she realised she had spoken to me 10 minutes earlier. Disgusting insurance company.

Prior to taking out the insurance I wish I had read the reviews of this company on moneysupermarket. I would strongly advise anyone who gets the best quote from them to go for the next cheapest quote and not give this company your business.