Newbie - Trackday 350z - Roll bars / Roll cages

cv8

A few guys on here have fitted cages, but AFAIK they have all been custom jobs, and therefore quite expensive.

Not sure how you reached the conclusion that the 350z is a good trackday toy, i mean i love mine (obviously) but there are many many cars that would be cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and faster round a track than a Zed.

There are many threads on this (which i recommend you search for and read) but to summarise:

The Zed is HEAVY. So not as nimble as some and very hard on tyres and brake pads.

Parts are expensive, the said tyres and brakes are pricey, and so are clutches.

When you get to wanting more power there are absolutely no cheap options for tuning. N/A tuning doesn't do a lot, and F/I is ball-bustingly expensive.

So if you what you want is a Zed that you can track, go for it. But if you're just after a track toy, not sure you're looking at the right car.

DB

If you want a cheap track toy get a Westfield.

Tracking the zed is very expensive.

A bolt in roll cage will cost more that 800 quid, a weld in job I reckon you'll be 3-4 times that easily with even doing all the prep work yourself.

Roll cage would be the last thing I'd worry about in the zed especially with its weight s we have members here with well over 600whp who drive on track with the soft top down. ;)

I'd do much more research before considering the zed as a track toy tbh.

If you are thinking of installing a cage, then you must not drive on the road without some sort of head protection on. They're designed exclusively for this, and a flailing head floating around a car with a cage is likely to take a hell of a pounding.

Of course, if it's a track-only car then this irrelevant. As above though, unless needed for a race series I'm not sure I'd bother installing any way. :)

If you are thinking of installing a cage, then you must not drive on the road without some sort of head protection on. They're designed exclusively for this, and a flailing head floating around a car with a cage is likely to take a hell of a pounding.

??? what about roll bar padding? lots of people driving on roads with cages in and just the padding (and hopefully their seat belts on!)

Still wouldn't do it, and it's still not recommend. How effective is that padding going to be if you smash your head against in a barrel roll at 70mph? Not very.

Each to their own, there's absolutely no law against doing it, but it's really not a good idea. The caveat being unless you're in a car that has/had a manufacturer built and fully approved cage fitted.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I've been down the Caterham / Westfield route before and am looking for something that I can use on the road and drive to further afield trackdays.

Maybe the 350z isn't right after all.

Why not test drive a 350? Yeah IMO it's not the best place to start for a track car but a few mods and it handles nicely plus you have a reliable engine and it's character is great. It will be expensive and eat tyres and brakes but it's a great car :thumbs: