Engine / Gearbox whine on cold mornings...

dvs

Hi all :drive1

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this - recently my 07 GT (mileage 35800) has started making an odd medium-high pitch whine when driving sub 40mph on cold days. It's very noticeable and stops if I drop it out of gear (so its not tyre/brakes related), though does increase in pitch the faster the engine is revving (until about 4krpm where it becomes hard to hear). Doesn't tend to occur if the drivetrain is warm - indeed it goes away once the old girl is up to temp.

I'm just about to put her in for a P3 including replacement brakes so hoping it wont be anything scary! :scare:

Dave

My old 53 plate UK Zed used to whine a little (gearbox). It went away after fitting a louder exhaust :teeth:

The new 07 plate HR model that i have also has some gearbox whine - noisier when cold. It's hasn't gotten any worse after 10k miles and was doing it from new for the orignal owner.

I've had gearbox and diff fluid changed on a P3 at Horsham - no difference to the noise. I think a lot of the HR's have a quiet touring-car style 'whine' from the gearbox when moving, especially at lower speeds. Seem to be quite a few theads on here and the US forums talking about the 'whine' noise.

Thanks for the replies - I wouldn't be so worried but it only started recently. Then again I bought it last February so we were coming out of the cold time then, maybe it's just seasonal...

How much was your P3 at HD? I dealt with Jez many years ago so would be happy to trip it over there if the price is right.

Jez has got a great little setup at the moment, very good office and two large garages with 4-post ramps etc. I cant recall what he charged but it was a good quote and included all of the fluids. Drop him a PM and see what he says (ask what the P3 covers too). Think i paid an extra 49 quid for him to change the diff fluid too - not a standard P3 service item.