Learner driver insurance

Sized

Not sure if this should be in a different place, but I'd appreciate opinions on an insurance question, which is however nothing to do with my zed!

My girlfriend is soon going to be learning to drive, and her parents plan to buy her a cheap and cheerful car in which to practice in. The car will be kept at my place for the time being, and I may use it from time to time to lug my mountain bike around, as well as taking her out for some practice driving :scare:

So, what we need to decide is:

Who should be the registered keeper on the car's V5?

Should I be the lead driver on the insurance policy and have her as a 'named learner' or similar? I assume this is possible, and will most likely be cheaper if I can mirror my no claims (again not sure if that's still possible!)

Or, should the policy just be in her name? In any case I will be insured third party through my zed insurance and given the car will be low value that's probably okay.

I'm pretty sure I know what the way forward is, but as I say, would appreciate the views of guys and gals on here.

Cheers

Well if she is going to be the main driver of the car then the insurance should be in her name.

Thanks for the reply Stew. Ultimately she will be the main driver, but I guess you could argue that until she passes, I will use the car more than her - every time she drives it I'll be there, and in addition I'll use it for bike lugging duties every once in a while.....

V5 in her name and insure it in her name with you as a named driver. Her insurance will be cheaper as a learner and then go up when she passes her test. The quicker it's in her name the quicker the NCB can build up.

Just been through this with my daughter. We did as above, with my wife and I as named drivers. Also add her mum and dad.